Ideal Dust

A/N: Long one ahead

What is a prey?

Something that fears.

What is a predator?

Something that is feared.

*

If humans were preys, what would be their predators?

If humans were predators, what would be their prey?

And what is the most terrible thing about humans? Why do we run away from everyone including ourselves?

Because facing the fear; the underlying, unpalatable truth that the only predators of humans are humans themselves, seems all too much to bear for their insignificant existence—the inexorable deterioration of society;

Into the quintessence of dust—

We are, but mere prey;

Predators;

Hunters;

And dust—

All at the same time.

_________________________

Name.

Callaghan used the hand with five fingers to present Io his timetable, smiling encouragingly as he peered down at the boy.

"Nothing special to note, but do try not to lose your way around Block B—it is rather large," The professor laughed sheepishly. Upon the listless expression that belonged to the new Sparrow, the older added in attempt to lift his student's spirits.

"On...On a brighter note, however," Callaghan lowered his voice to a happy whisper, "I managed to arrange for you and your friend, Pipa Felice, to have the same timetable."

Indeed, this piece of information very well managed to lift the invisible weight on his non-existent wings, for Io found himself searching for his friend as soon as he was dismissed; his mind momentarily forgetting the image of Callaghan laughing at his own identity during the ceremony the day before.

He tottered across the stretch of tables during breakfast, several predators lurking around the area—watching. The boy did not know what, or why their eyes seemed to follow; but he knew it was one of them, the Marks.