Victorious Defeat

Do you know?

They like their meals...

Fresh.

________________________

Luka was aware of his weakness.

That one weakness that he really never had—and never believed that he would. After all why would he, at some point of time in his life, choose to put his heart on the platter—ready to be served for dinner?

But that was when he realized that such things had nothing to do with choice at all.

There were other things; other weaknesses that could be avoided; banished; annihilated for the sake of strength but this?

Affection?

Where would that lie?

Affection served his heart for dinner and not just any dinner—it would be his foe's greatest meal.

The beating, living reward that was the result of something so petty a trap; the lock on his cage.

Luka made a swift and soundless landing, releasing the sparrow in his arms just for a moment before he stopped to hold him close once again. Slayne took his place beside the eagle, morphing into a human just before feet touched ground in the most cautious manner.

Cautious; for he disliked dealing with those that he would never come to trust.

The perfect example stared into his eyes—windows that separated the Self from the world.

There, perching on the ledge above the exit, watching—

Waiting; was Vaughn.

The eyes of the vulture snapped towards the flock of three, head turning with a cock; and for a moment its beak gaped—as if in delightful laughter.

Luka folded his wings, trying to conserve the energy that was ebbing away as he stepped forward—in front of Io.

The sun was in the process of retreating; and it was then that the sky had two eyes.

Io glanced down at the outstretched arm holding him back, keeping him behind. His friend was protecting him. He should have been glad—relieved, even.

Yet, he wasn't.

There was an anxious seed that a devil had planted and it was beginning to grow. It rooted, deep in his heart, a weed so strangely endearing that it was and could be a beautiful prospect.