Even Odds

[Noon, grounds]

There was a small group of prey gathered at the grounds, looking slightly lost and afraid. They huddled around anxiously, conversing in hushed tones and exchanging doubtful glances; some of them perhaps even wondering why they had to converse in hushed tones.

There was no reason to, really.

They simply felt the need to do so when they were facing something unknown.

After all, the invitation had stated nothing apart from the time and venue.

It was then when Pipa and Io arrived at the scene, joining the equally confused group with a smile, grateful that they were not alone.

'Strength in numbers' wasn't an uncommon thought that surfaced at that point of time, since it was unlikely for a passing Predator to pay interest in a group of five to six Marks.

They soon noticed a professor approaching them, strong strides crossing the grounds easily to reach the Marks.

One might say that it was the sound of his footsteps, somehow—loud as the beat of their hearts despite the soft grass beneath the professor's feet, that made the group turn their heads; or the changing air that struck a fearful note in the keys of their mind; but in all truth, it was a simple instinct.

The instinct to run

When something was closing in.

And that was the imminent darkness the Marks saw even before meeting the eyes of the professor.

This, their hearts concluded then with a flutter of sweet despair, would be the footsteps of a Predator. The fear of being in close proximity to one. And the horror of their presence.

"Mm?" There was a hum of amusement as a hawk landed on his shoulder, wings folding swiftly. "Are you kids for Season next week?"

Silence was far from an appropriate response. After all, it was a teacher speaking to a bunch of students. There was no excuse for them to keep their mouths shut despite the heavy fear that held their throats in a vice-like grip.

"Yes Sir, we—we are," Someone spoke.

Io thanked them from the bottom of his heart. It was hard to breathe.

"Oh," The man said simply. "Man, they suck at choosing candidates."

None of them knew what he meant. The possibilities were far too many to count.

"Quint Faustes, Deputy Headmaster." The man said shortly, intending to cut the conversation right there and then; but upon scanning the Marks and noting their uncomfortable gazes, continued.

"You've seen me on your first day, quit looking like I'm gonna eat you up," Faustes laughed, sending his Avian into the air to lighten the pressure.

The sparrow tried hard to swallow his instincts, taking tentative as he and the group of Marks followed the professor. He's not going to harm you, Io reminded himself relentlessly, you've seen him before.