Similar Difference

"Luka, Luka."

It was late and long past his curfew; and yet to Io, he felt as if leaving his friend now would make things seem even later. How that came to his mind was almost like a mystery. In fact, Io often related the concept of lateness to something of a pitiful event. It carried a slow sadness—as though things had come to an end, and the awareness of time merely made it all the more clear.

The eagle returned his gaze.

"Luka," His smile glowed in a strange manner, "do you think V will allow for a rematch?"

"A rematch?" Luka repeated carefully, watching an idea form in Io's head and the light that it lent to his wide eyes. "Of?"

"The games, silly," Io laughed, excited. "I just remembered something that Pipa said. She always says things like that anyway, you know. She said 'the more the merrier'."

"So I was thinking if I could get some people to sign...um, what's it called...?"

A petition? Victoria offered helpfully, and Io nodded right away.

"Yes! Yes, that!" He leaned forward hopefully. "If we could get the headmistress to allow for a rematch, and...well, you know. If I win for the second time, then—"

"No."

Luka's answer had slipped out of his lips without a warning. Neither he nor Io seemed to have anticipated this firm response; and it certainly upset the latter.

"Why not?" He asked, shoulders falling.

This time however, the eagle paused to think. He always did, really; contemplation mostly brought value to his answers and that was what mattered to him. After all, since he couldn't seem to offer them in quantity, he thought perhaps the quality of his answers would make up for it instead.

"It's dangerous," Luka began, "she will find ways to make you lose."

Io hung his head with a sigh. The slight consideration did occupy a small part of his thoughts until he pushed them aside in favour of the consequences.

For there was something beyond his plan.

The boy tried his best to relay this to his friend in the most coherent manner he could manage. Victoria listened intently while her Winged appeared the very same. Perhaps it simply was because he felt no difference; Luka was always compelled to listen to this strange little one.

As the conversation (or rather, the explanation) progressed, the eagle began to understand Io's aim; which didn't exactly include a victory in any part of it.

Though his viewpoint was far from radical, Luka thought it to be fairly intriguing nonetheless. There were things that he could relate to, but the presence of contention was perhaps inevitable.

"You...don't want to win?" He confirmed. His friend considered the question with a fleeting smile.

"It's not that I don't want to win, Luka...maybe," Io paused to think, somewhat a habit that he had inherited from the eagle. "Maybe the game wasn't about winning at all?"

It was unfortunate that the predator found no understanding in Io's conclusion. Nevertheless, he kept it at the back of his cage, for it was important to him.