Looking down raises Them

A/N: It's a double update because I didn't update last week ^^ Hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

__________________________

They say that society eats.

But was that the entire truth?

Perhaps it was the—Half Truth.

For in society; there are the ones who eat, and the ones who are eaten;

The ones who feed, and the ones who are fed.

The—Half Truth; a beautiful name for the Half Lie.

There is a catch, however.

It is rather strange.

That those who feed and those who are fed;

Were all

Human.

If society was an ecosystem;

It would comprise of one animal—and that is us.

The bird.

I'm sure it's laughing—at the humans.

It's laughing,

At our ugly selves

And yet marveling

At the beauty we sell.

_________________________

October was ending.

"Tori, do you have a moment to spare? I'd like to speak to you," Callaghan tapped the first year on his shoulder, a polite small on his lips.

Breakfast on this particular Friday morning was unusually quiet; what with the winter breeze sweeping through the grounds effortlessly—trees having shed their luscious skins of red and orange. The air in the Dining Hall was oddly heavy, despite the presence of Io's friends and near absence of Predators.

Predators, of course, were free to take their meals at any chosen time—and still enjoy the luxury of it.

Io had noticed the professor entering the Hall not too long ago with an anxious expression, as if he was searching for something; but hadn't thought much of his appearance. It took Callaghan's awkward announcement of his presence by clearing his throat beside their breakfast table for the sparrow to realize it was him that the Professor had been looking for.

The boy rose from his seat, albeit reluctantly.

He chanced a second look back, forcing himself to swallow worry as his friends at the breakfast table gave him a thumbs up.