Whole hole

The bluejay found her companions tending to a hummingbird's fractured finger. How she knew this was rather a mystery of course. In fact, how the bluejay knew more about things she could not care less to know were very much a mystery. The lack of sentiment stood out: she did not care.

Had there been a reason to, or purpose, benefit behind the caring then perhaps, the bluejay thought, she would. But this?

She looked upon the kiwi nervously trying to secure a bandage around the hummingbird's finger after shifting it back into place (it had been terribly crooked) while the magpie held a water bottle to the latter's lips. She choked once, having winced from a sudden pain that shot up her arm. The pair panicked.

It was this frenzy that caused the bluejay to sigh inwardly and comfort—or convince—herself by thinking that they could not do without her. She crouched beside the hummingbird, who she knew vaguely by the name of Rhea. Rhea Caisley.

In the midst of the quiet treatment and temporary rest, a soft rustling seemed to the prey much like a lion's roar and at this, the four jumped with a start, scrambling up from the ground—

Io.

Tensed shoulders relaxed and it was even, a moment worth letting slip a tiny smile which Rien found that she did. Well, until Luka came into view.

They froze; wanting to raise their guard but knowing not how to.

A golden eagle.

A golden eagle was just a few feet away—how could they?

All eyes turned to the sparrow for explanation, in which he did vaguely with a sheepish grin and awkward move of his bow. He was tired, but getting Lyra to speak to the rest was necessary.

Do not worry. He is with us, his Avian spoke to those of the other prey while her Winged began to search urgently for his arrow.

They stood very still, eyes wary and gaze taut with fear. Mauri emerged from behind Luka. Ah, perhaps they had not seen him. The eagle was rather tall, after all.

Again, this came as a shock.

Um, yes. As well as this owl over here. Please don't worry, they will not hurt us.

Io found what he had been looking for fairly quickly, having scanned the grass with careful eyes, he picked it up instantly and put it away in his bag, turning to the now six companions before him.

The bluejay caught on at the sight of Mauri's injury, which she assumed to be a product of the golden eagle's—for it looked far too serious to be courtesy of just any other predator.

Rien was the first to nod slowly. Of course, the eagle and the sparrow. Yes, there had been rumors...all she had to do was to trust them both. But that was easier said than done.

Io looked to the phoenix that hovered above his companions, and was glad that Sol had listened and stayed. Perhaps that was the only way to let the hummingbird have her moment of rest and recovery.

All of a sudden, their numbers had increased to seven and that felt a strangely large number to Io; and a greater responsibility, to be exact.

He felt a little afraid. Moving in bigger groups, though providing the safety of numbers and confidence, was not going to end well. Or so Io had learnt from books and the old movies they had back in the village, screened on a projector for communal entertainment every weekend.