Betraying Faith

Jing was quiet and she gave no answer to what she liked. In fact, it seemed very much to her as though she did not know what she liked. For what was there to like in this world that was falling apart? She could not understand.

Her silence made Io rather anxious; had he made her uncomfortable by posing a strange question? Hastily, he tried to withdraw his previous thought and replace it with another.

Jing, will you be coming with us?

She glanced at Slayne who was staring at the pair blankly. There was a sudden desire to snap her fingers before his eyes and account for his lack of reaction when she looked away. Involving herself—what good would it do?

No. I will go on my own.

The phoenix didn't mean to cause that expression on Io's face. Nor did she particularly like his falling shoulders that ensued the words in her mind. She was no longer neutral, numb; void. There was emotion and she was beginning to feel a little scared.

But I owe you one. So I...

There was a chasm in her thoughts.

I will repay it.

Io was quick to correct her no matter the tiers that placed between the two; the phoenix and the sparrow. Don't. What is that? Repayment. I didn't pay you anything, he thought carefully, feeling the lack of sleep in his eyes beginning to take a toll on his mind. Is that really what friends are about? Giving and taking? He frowned, for that was when he realized that he himself had made the same mistake a few days ago. He had wanted to give Luka something in return.

How did Luka feel about that? Io considered the possibility that his eagle friend had felt the same as he was, now. It made him rather guilty.

I don't really know whether I'm giving or not. It doesn't feel like you owe me one, you know. I thought friends were...were what? For some reason, the sparrow had the impression that friendship was something more than just a mere saying of 'give and take'. It seemed to him almost trifling, had the concept been reduced to a common mindset that had very little significance to Io, and it disappointed the boy.

I thought friends were...

He got it.

There. Io got really excited at this first critical question he could finally answer by himself and he did not know just how it happened. Friends are just, there. Maybe it's not about giving and taking like it is with other people—friends are just there. I mean, here. He pointed at his chest and he couldn't wait to tell Pipa and Luka.

This revelation, to many, might have been a silly and foolish one that served no purpose. But perhaps it was exactly that friendship served no purpose; that it had no purpose, that cleared the clouds in Io's mind and for all intents and purposes, allow him to move on.

Jing heard all this and felt awfully confused and slightly afraid when she found herself taken. For the first time, it was not hard to agree and yet, she wondered if Io knew how fast the world was falling apart. Would he uphold his values till the very end? Jing did not want to see the boy consumed by the vices of the world.

I'll come with you.

That, Io heard and was beaming. He turned to look at Slayne to prove his persuasion skills but Slayne had stood up, and was leaning against a tree with his eyes closed.