Forgetting to Remember

A/N: Six thousand words ahead! ;-;

Vaughn found himself, once again, in that miserable classroom of his that felt so much like a prison as compared to its design.

He saw his teacher from second grade enter from the front door; pale and horribly ill—as though this was how he had looked like before he died. Vaughn stood to greet him, but the moment he did so, he felt a tug on his hair, downwards—refusing to let him rise from his seat.

The vulture resisted for a moment, and the pain began to spread across his entire scalp as though that itself was on fire. This happened before he heard the strange sound of shattering glass, in which he turned to look at the windows on his left.

They were intact; or so he registered, and it brought his attention elsewhere—to the person who was had their hands in his hair.

He whipped around.

There was no one behind him.

He turned back—

Cameron.

Cam didn't change at all. He looked exactly the same with his smiling eyes; confident grin to disarm anyone who thought themselves safe from such influence. His hair was dark, and a little messy as usual. He had forgotten to comb it again.

Vaughn! Cam was always so happy to see him. Hey, I wanted to talk to you!

What he didn't know was that Vaughn was happier than he—that there was, really, no expression in this world that could match the joy within.

Vaughn opened his mouth to speak, to agree and say that; yes, he had wanted to talk to him too.

That was all he wanted.

He just wanted to hear his friend talk. Smile. Laugh—

Laugh...?

The thought violated his heart and for some reason, he was hearing Cam's laughter in the strangest way possible; everywhere.

It was, supposedly, comforting.

The sound did that in the least; displacing him and rendering him quite helpless in the darkness that ate and swallowed him whole.

The Cameron beside him was tall; the one in front had his hair dyed—blonde; the Cameron on his right was gripping his shoulder so tightly he thought he was going to break; there were so many of them. All of them were Cam but none of them were looking at him.

He could not recognize who was the real one—why?

Because they all had different appearances?

Or simply because they all had the same laugh?

The vulture was lost in his world and it all amounted to the final scene.