𝑆𝑢𝑟𝑝𝑟𝑖𝑠𝑒

The following morning, Michael was the first one up, letting out a small yawn as he looked to his watch. It was about 7:00, but school started later than usual. He smiled down at the girl in his arms, who was gripping onto his shirt slightly. She looked absolutely adorable, and he hated to move, but he had to. He slowly shifted out of her grip, placing a pillow in her arms in replace of him. Michael moved some hair behind her ear, the back of his fingers caressing her cheek as he moved away.

He knew her birthday was coming up soon and wanted to do something special, something she would never forget. To do so, he wanted to talk to her parents about it. He had an idea, but wanted her parents approval in order to fully fulfill his idea. He quietly slipped out of the room and headed downstairs where her parents were hurrying around the kitchen, making a very extravagant breakfast. Michael cleared his throat, and M/n turned from the stove to look at him.

"Oh, good morning Michael! How did you sleep?"

"I slept well, I'm sorry you didn't know I was here whenever you got home last night. Y/n asked to watch Doctor Who, and I guess we both fell asleep."

"Oh, it's perfectly alright. She likes your company. As long as your parents are okay with it, you can stay over anytime," M/n smiled, cracking a few eggs into the frying pan.

"Thank you."

"Breakfast will be ready soon, if you want to go tell Y/n," said F/n.

"Um, I actually need to ask you something."

M/n looked to her husband, then both glanced back at the teen. M/n was the one to speak first. "Ask us what?"

"Y/n's birthday is coming up, and I want to do something for her. Something memorable, and I have a thought, but I wanted to make sure it would be okay with you to do so."

"What did you have in mind, Michael?" pressed F/n, eager to know his plans involving his daughter, to make sure they were appropriate and that he wouldn't try anything.

"She likes Imagine Dragons, right?"

"Oh yes, she's loved them since the beginning, she has all the albums and listens to them all the time," M/n told him.

"I want to take her to one of their concerts. There's one in a few weeks, I figured it would be a good surprise. I would take her, I would keep her safe, and I would make sure she had the best time possible."

"You're very honorable, Michael. And so very thoughtful. She would love that. We can pay for anything we need to."

"No. It's okay, my family can pay for it. I promise it's alright."

"Are you sure? Concert tickets are quite a lot of money..."

"Mrs. L/n, I want to do this for her. You don't need to pay me or my family back. I want to make her happy. She deserves it, I can assure you, I'll take care of everything and she'll be back in one piece."

"I trust you, Michael," F/n told the young man. "I assume you'd stay at a hotel before coming home?"

"Yes we would. It will be late when it gets over."

"Let us pay for at least that. Then M/n will stop pressuring to pay you back for the concert tickets," F/n suggested.

"I like that idea," M/n agreed.

"Alright, I will get you the details once I buy the tickets. Thank you."

"We should be thanking you, actually."

"Why? I haven't done anything." Michael was confused as to why they would be thanking him, he hadn't done anything special for them, he was simply friends with their daughter. But friends sounded wrong in his mind.

"We're thanking you because our daughter is genuinely happy for the first time in a while. She's been smiling a lot more since she got closer to you. And what you're doing for her... just thank you," M/n explained.

Michael smiled and nodded softly. "Of course. She's a good friend." Why did the word friend seem so foreign

"She takes after F/n here. He makes friends easily. Now, would you mind going to wake Y/n up for me please? Breakfast is ready."

"I'll be right back." Michael left the kitchen and headed up the stairs as Y/n's parents set the table. He stepped into her room, kneeling beside her bed, moving hair out of her eyes once again. "Hey, Sunflower," he began quietly. "It's time to wake up, your mother says breakfast is ready."

"Hmm?" she hummed, opening her eyes slowly. Once she saw him, she smiled. "Good morning, Michael. Did you sleep here last night?"

"I did."

"I'm sorry, your parents were probably looking for you."

He shrugged. "I messaged my mother last night and told her I was staying at a friend's. Don't worry. But if you want food, you need to get up."

She reached her arm up, getting her fingers tangled in his curls before drawing her hand down to cup his cheek, rubbing her thumb over his skin. "I'm up, I'll be down in a minute, let me change."

He resisted the urge to lean into her touch, and instead sent her a small smile, turning his face slightly so he could kiss her palm. She grinned at this action and watched as Michael headed towards the door. He grabbed the doorknob and looked back at her, grinning as well. "See you soon."

"Bye Michael."

"Bye Sunflower." With that, he left the room and closed the door behind him. As he headed down the stairs, he pulled out his phone and went to the page he had bookmarked earlier and looked at the ticket sales. He messaged his mother, telling her his plan and asked for her permission to purchase the best tickets possible. She replied not soon after saying he had permission, so he bought limited VIP tickets, only the best for Y/n, and told his mother thank you.

"Morning Mom! Morning Dad!" Y/n grinned, taking a seat at the table and smiling at Michael who was next to her.

"Good morning, my dear! Did you sleep well?" M/n inquired.

"I did, thank you." Michael typed something on his phone, then showed the screen to both M/n and F/n, and they replied with a nod and a smile.

"What is it?" Michael started typing again, then set the phone on the table next to him, and Y/n looked at it.

I'm taking you to see Imagine Dragons in a few weeks. Happy early birthday. :)

"You're WHAT?!" she exclaimed, standing up quickly and looking at him.

"You read it," he said, standing up as well.

"You're taking me to see Imagine Dragons?!" Michael gave her a nod, with a small smile, watching her grin wider than the moon and her eyes light up as she fully realized what was going to happen soon.

"Surprise," he said.

She lept into his arms, hugging him tightly, repeating. "Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you! Oh my gosh, this is the best day ever!!" She let out a light squeal in excitement, both of her parents watching with a smile. Michael held her back, finding it hard to hide his own smile at her reaction.

It was this simple moment that he realized that simply calling her his friend was not enough. He noticed that feeling inside, like a windstorm, or a flock of birds within his ribcage. Friend was not the right word to describe her anymore, it felt too common, too simple. When she pulled her head away and smiled at him, it was then he realized exactly what he was feeling, and wondered why he hadn't realized it before.

He was falling in love with her.

⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱

A/N: YOU GUYS CAN'T KILL ME NOW, I GAVE A HAPPY, FLUFFY CHAPTER, WITH NO CLIFFHANGER, well, slight cliffhanger, BUT NOT A BAD ONE HOPE YOU ENJOYED