𝐴𝑠𝑘

After several games played, skating around for a while, and a few escape rooms, Michael led her to the set aside room reserved for parties. He had his hands over her eyes and directed her through the door.

"Michael, what's going on?" Y/n laughed.

"Stay here, and keep your eyes closed," he directed.

"Okay, okay." Michael's hands were moved from her face and she stood there with her eyes closed. There was a shuffling of feet and a few whispers then silence. Seconds later, her hands were grabbed and she recognized them as Michael's.

"Open your eyes," he whispered. She obeyed and was met with a room full of her favorite snacks, a beautifully decorated cake, a few gift bags in the corner, and a whole room full of family and friends. Her parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and of course, Michael standing front and center. A chorus of 'surprise' or 'happy birthday' erupted and she covered her mouth while she smiled.

"You guys! This is amazing!"

"Only the best for you, cuz!" her older cousin, Delilah exclaimed. Y/n went over and hugged each member of her family. Her uncle Steve had taken some of the younger kids down to the arcade to play some games after greeting her. It was hard for his kids to stay in place when there was so many fun things to do. Y/n understood and said she'd see them later. When she reached her three oldest cousins, they pulled her to the side, probably to gossip about the newest family drama. Delilah was the youngest of the three, at twenty. Next was Danny at twenty-two, and finally Elina at twenty-three.

"Girl, you better tell us all the tea with that boy," Danny said.

"The curly haired one," Elina continued.

"Oh, Michael?" Y/n asked, tilting her head slightly.

"Yes, the one who organized all this, duh," Delilah added. Y/n looked back to see Michael leaning down to talk to Tanner, Y/n's eight year old cousin. Tanner was smiling as he talked to Michael about something he loved, probably his newest Lego set, and Michael listened like if he'd never heard of anything like that before.

Danny looked to the two girls beside him, then back to Y/n. "You like him."

"What?! No! I don't, I don't like him, he's just a really good friend."

"A friend who planned all this for you, and bought you concert tickets to see your favorite band? Yeah, he's not just a friend," Elina said, taking a sip of her drink.

"How did you-?"

"People talk. Your mom told Gran, and you know how she is when she hears any sort of gossip. She spills like an overflowing pot of water."

Y/n scoffed lightly, placing her hand on her hip. "So everyone knows."

"Naturally. Plus, you wearing that ring, and he has the one to match," Danny noticed.

"How on earth did you notice that?"

"I'm studying to become a detective. I notice things," Danny began. "Let me tell you, there are some hotties there. Like this girl, Evelina, sooooo pretty. And this boy Oscar. Ugh, they're so fine." Y/n let out a light laugh and slightly shook her head. Danny always was a helpless romantic.

"Okay, I'll tell you stuff. But this stays in between us, no one else, got it?" The three nodded and leaned closer to hear her. "I'll try to make this short, but there's this girl named Honor, and she wants to get into Harvard and decided to sabotage other competitors."

"The audacity."

"She asked for my help, and that's how I started talking to him. She asked me for tips since I am, you know, a matchmaker. She wanted to distract him, but nothing seemed to work. She had me do things, and after a while, I admitted to Michael what was happening and he'd known. He didn't blame me, and said he understood and we came to the idea that he continues to fall into Honor's plan so that she feels like she won. Occasionally, he's come over to my house and we've talked and stuff and one of the first times he came over, he ended up staying there that night and... I had fallen asleep in his arms."

"AWWWW!" Danny exclaimed before Elina covered his mouth with her hand, taking another drink.

"A lot of little things have happened, and he's brought me sunflowers, he always goes out of his way to talk to me at school and he's been so nice to me. When he bought me those tickets, I was shocked. People haven't really done that for me before. He's just..."

"Just...?" Delilah prompted.

"Just perfect. I don't know how to explain it," Y/n breathed.

Danny smirked lightly. "Girl, I think you are falling."

"What?"

"I think you're falling for him."

"I... I can't be."

"Well, you are, so."

"How do you know?"

Danny sighed. "For a matchmaker, you sure don't know a lot. The way you talk about him says it all. You talk about him like that, and your eyes light up in a way that can only resemble the night sky. And you're smiling more when you're talking about him. Future detective here, duh."

"I hate to say it, but he's right," Elina added with a slight smile. Y/n blinked and looked down at her toes, fully realizing what they were saying, what she was feeling. Something about that felt good. Felt right. He felt right. And went to look at him, but didn't see him at all.

"Mom, where did Michael go?" Y/n questioned.

"He said he'd be right back."

"Y/n."

Y/n spun around and saw Michael standing there with a gentle smile ok his face. "Michael, is everything okay?"

"I have something to ask."

"Okay...?"

"Reach in the pocket," he said, gesturing to her new jacket. She reached her hand in the pocket and pulled out a folded piece of paper. She opened the paper and written on the page were four letters in blue ink.

Prom?

Y/n looked up at him, and he shrugged lightly. "What do you say, Sunflower?"

"Are you kidding me? Yes!" she exclaimed. Y/n jumped into his arms and laughed. Everyone 'awwed' at their interaction while Delilah, Danny, and Elina shared a knowing look.

"Alright lovebirds, let's cut the cake," her aunt Olivia teased. Y/n went beet red before facing the ground and walking towards the table.

"No singing, right?" Olivia asked.

"That's right."

"Then at least blow out the candles and then we can dig in." Y/n closed her eyes and then blew out the lit candles and people clapped and Olivia began to cut the cake, handing the first piece to Y/n, then handing pieces out to others. Michael and Y/n kept stealing glances at each other, sending smiles and Michael sending winks her way.

Danny went over to her and nudged her. "'Just a friend'?"

"Shut up, Danny, or I'll find either Evelina or Oscar and tell them you're crushing on them."

He gasped. "You wouldn't."

"Then don't tease me."

"Just saying. If something doesn't happen, I'll take things into my own hands and get you two together."

"I'm not going to force anything," Y/n said, then spoke in a whisper. "No matter how much I want something to."

⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱

A/N: I HOPE THIS IS GOOD 😭 I TRIED TO MAKE SOMETHING GOOD, IDK IF IT IS THOUGH. I'M SORRY IT'S KINDA SHORT!!! BUT ANYWAYS, I LOVE YOU ALL!!!