Chapter 1

I was sitting on the roof as John B balanced on one foot at the edge,
Pope said" That's what, a three-story fall to the deck? I give you about a one-in-three chance of survival."
I said" Nah, I say 50/50."
John B said" Hm. Should I do it?"
Pope said" Yeah, jump. I'll shoot you on the way down."
" You're gonna shoot me?"
" Yep."
" Pew!" Making a finger gun to Pope, who I think had a drill,
Kie said" They're gonna have Japanese toilets with towel warmers."
JJ said" Of course they are. Why wouldn't they?"
" This used to be a turtle habitat, but who cares about the turtles, I guess?"
" I can't have cold towels."
" Can you please not kill yourself?" She definitely just noticed John B being very, very stupid.
" Don't spill that beer. I'm not giving you another one." John B lost balance and dropped said beer before balancing himself. I laughed,
He said" Whoa! Oh, shit."
" Of course you did, right when I told you." I laughed and stood up, balancing on my tiptoes, John B groaned, stretching his arms out to the fallen can.
Pope said" A-plus. Hey, uh, security's here. Let's wrap it up."
John B said" Boys are early today." I ran down the side of the roof and jumped off, JJ started taunting 'em. I climbed down the scaffolding, laughing,
Kie said" You're asking for it." We ran through the unfinished house, running down the stairs, laughing and shouting. I laughed as JJ nearly slid into one of the guards,
I said" Nice going!" He tripped me, I laughed and ran faster," JJ!" I jumped the fence, I saw Pope fall, I stopped and shook my head.
JJ said" Get up, Pope, fatso's coming." Pope jumped up as JJ and I started running again.
John B yelled" Bus is leaving!"
Kie said" Come on, boys!" We jumped into the van, John B drove off and they chased after us.
Pope said" Check out Gary, gunnin' for a raise."
JJ said" Come on, Gary! Wait. Slow down."
Gary said" Hey! You little pricks!"
Kie said" Come on, guys, you're gonna give him a heart attack." JJ hung out the door,
He said" You're so close! You can do it. There you go." Throwing a can of beer to him," They don't pay you enough, bro."
" JJ, stop. Stop."
" Oh, come on. That sort of initiative is just begging to be punished." I wrapped my arms around JJ's neck, pulling him back, we both fell into the seat, laughing.
———
We were relaxing on the hms pogue, John B conveniently in the middle, surrounded with no escape. I glanced to Kie, then we all looked at each other, JJ pounced first, then Pope, then me, then Kie, we all started laughing.
———
That's Kai, or as we usually call him... Mermaid, it's a long story! He's kinda half and half on the scale of Kook and Pogue. Dad runs the best bait and fish shop on the island, Mom's from a founding Kooklandia family. He's the rebellious teenager, well... kid, he's always walked on the weird side, but he's always been there for me.

John B brought in the fish net,
JJ said" Nice haul, dude. Look at that."
Kie said" Ugh, John B."
" Been all bait for, like, three weeks." John B threw a fish at him,
Pope said" Gross." I picked up a fish and made kissy lips," Go away!"
I said" But Pope! It loves you!"
" I think he's having a heat stroke."
JJ said" You think?"
" Definitely." JJ stood up,
I said" Stay away!" I backed away, then he pushed me off, I laughed as I hit the water then surfaced." Oh, come on! I actually washed my hair last night!" They all laughed, I pulled myself back up, sticking out my tongue at them.
———
I was kissing JJ's neck as he laid over me, I was leaned up, I smiled as he turned his head to the door.
He said" Dude! Come on, man. Get outta here." Throwing a can at him, I rolled my eyes as John B closed the door,
I said" Don't throw things at John B."
" Shh-Shut up." He bit my neck, I laughed and wrapped my arms around his chest, hugging him. He dropped onto me, smiling at me, he kissed me, I kissed back.
———
I was bouncing around the house, trapped inside because mom thought I'd be an idiot and try to surf during Agatha... she wouldn't have been wrong.
I said" Nick okay on the mainland?"
Dad said" Yeah, second he can get onto the island, he'll be here."
" Cool! Can I go into the out now?" I made pathetic grabby hands to the glass door, staring out.
Mom yelled" Nope! Don't make me send you to your room!" I groaned and spun around,
" Fine! Fine! You're no fun!"
" I know!" I laughed and danced around to no music, hoping my friends were okay... and not being idiots. Kie's at home by now, so i know she's safe, hopefully JJ is hunkered down at John B's, and I hope John B's next to him, but he'd been talking about riding the surge so I'm sure he and Pope are out on a beach.
———
I saw my friends pulling up to my dock,
Mom said" Don't even think about it, Kai!"
JJ yelled" Run!" I grabbed my bag and took off, my dad tried to grab me but I dodged him, laughing.
John B yelled" Hurry up!" I ran up the dock,
Mom yelled" Kai Daniel Ralphs, you get back here!"
I yelled" I'm sorry! I love you! See you later!" I jumped down onto the pogue, I laughed," Go, go, go!" John B drove off, I grinned at them, I said" Mornin'!" JJ ruffled my hair, smiling at me, I sat down, panting.
Kie said" Have fun?"
" My mom kept me locked in the house!" She laughed," Ooh, juice boxes?" I tried to grab the the cooler but Kie moved it from my reach.
JJ said" My kind of juice boxes."
" Ooh, way better!"