Chapter 26

We all went to JB's, I smiled as I saw Big John, he hugged Pope then JJ jumped onto his back, they started messing around. I saw John B watching, but... he was hiding something for sure, I walked to him,
I said" Hey, you good?"
He said" Yeah, yeah. Are you?" He grabbed my chin and looked at the hell of a bruise on my forehead." Holy shit. What did you do?"
" Uh, got thrown off my ride... I rolled, hit my head on the pavement. It'll be a killer scar."
" You grounded?"
" I'm dead, actually, 6 feet grounded."

We were all sitting around,
John B said" Yeah, yeah, so we, um... we went to the archives in Charleston, and, uh... it was... it was a dead end. A dry hole. So..." I looked at him, he's so lying, wonder how long it'll take him to get around to the truth.
Pope said" So that's the gold, the cross, and now El Dorado. We're three for three, guys." He threw a stick," The streak continues. That's great." He walked away,
Kie said" See you, John B." Kie and Cleo followed,
JJ said" I'm going fishing. Thanks for the beer." he walked away,
I said" Facing my family... I will 911 someone if I get killed or something. Bye." I walked away too, I gulped.

I walked into the house, mom ran up,
She said" My god! What happened to your face?!"
I said" I-I wrecked the ride, it's okay." She grabbed my face," I'm fine, mom."
" You disappeared, no way to get in contact with anyone! What were you think?! God, you need to go to the hospital!"
" No, no, no, no, I'm fine!" Dad walked in,
He said" What the hell?!"
" I'm fine!"
Mom said" You're not fine! Where have you even been?!"
Dad said" With his friends, probably! That's the reason your face look like that!"
I said" No, no, they had-"
" You're done! Give me your keys."
" Dad, I did this myself, they couldn't have made me wreck!"
" Give me your damn keys!"
" Dad, I-"
" Now, son!" Then there was a knock at the door, I turned and saw Sarah," Kai..."
" Give me two minutes, it's Sarah." I walked to the door, and opened it,
She said" This looks like a bad time."
" No, no, you're good. What's wrong?"
" John B and I got into a fight, and I have nowhere to stay... I.."
" Yeah, you do. Here."
Dad said" No!"
" Daaad."
" Sarah, we need some alone time with our son, you're always welcome here but..."
Sarah said" Yeah, yeah, no I understand. I'll just hit up JJ or something."
I said" I'm sorry." She walked away, I closed the door," Seriously?! She has nowhere, her family is gone! We're all she's got."
Dad said" And you're our son, and this is our house. Give me your keys."
" Mom-"
Mom said" Your dad is right, Kai, we've tried to give you space, but this has gone too far!"
" But this-"
" Give us your keys, Kai and go to your room." I pulled my keys from my pocket, sniffles and slammed them onto the counter." We're going to the hospital, Kai. You could have-"
" I'm fine, it's a little cut, I've already cleaned it. I'm going to my room." I walked away from them, and saw Nick on the staircase, smirking.
He said" Hey, bad son."
" Screw you." He laughed, and followed me up the stairs,
" Damn, do that yourself?"
" Yep! Wrecked the ride, like twice, so I'm just going to bed, maybe get high. You better not have gotten into my stash."
" Cool it, I didn't." I huffed and walked into my room, I laid on my bed, sighing," Little warning, though, uh, they were looking at places to send you." I looked up,
" Seriously?"
" Yeah, they think you need to be away from the pogues for a while." My eyes watered," But, hey, the military school they were looking at already filled it's slots for the semester, so you're chill on that one."
" Great, yeah! Fantastic!" I punched my bed, and sighed," Just leave me alone, man."
" Yeah, yeah, whatever. Going to the Mase if you wanna sneak out."
" Nah, I'm chill here, I hate hanging out with the kooks anyways."
" Well, you are a kook, so... a little bit of a hypocrite, huh?"
" Piss off, Nick!" He laughed and walked out, closing the door, I huffed, and stared at my ceiling.

I heard pebbles at my window, I walked to it and looked at JJ, he nodded, I opened my window.
I said" Hey. What're you doing on this side of the island?"
He said" Went looking for Pope, don't ask. Your parents?"
" Took my ride... looking for places to send me away from you guys."
" Wanna come with me?"
" Nah, nah, I better stay here, they'll be so beyond pissed if I sneak out again."
" Alright, well, I'll be at mine if you change your mind. How's your head?"
" I'm fine, just gonna leave a gnarly scar."
" Not exactly what I asked."
" I'm fine, JJ. I don't wanna talk about it." He nodded,
" Alright, see you soon."
" Bye."
Dad said" Who're you talking to?" He charged in and looked at me," You're grounded, Kai." JJ took off, I closed my window,
" No one, dad." I walked to my bed and laid down again," Just myself." He walked out, I punched my bed repeatedly, and rolled over, digging my face into my pillow, sobbing.