Chapter 9

We saw the plane take off, no, no, no, no, no, no!
JJ said" There goes the gold. Shit!" He kicked a chair,
Pope said" Fuck!" He threw some piece of trash,
Kie said" Pope!"
" Goddammit! Shit! Fuck!" He started beating shit with a bat," Damn it! Shit! Fuck! Shit! Damn it!"
" Pope!" He threw a can," Pope!" He sat down," Pope." I was wondering when that was gonna happen, it was bound to happen.
JJ said" Yeah, dude. I was wondering when this was gonna happen. Here you go, Chief." He held out his stick," A little weed never hurt no one."
" JJ."
" Relax, Kie."
" You know he doesn't smoke." Pope took it from him,
JJ and I said" Well, maybe not until today." JJ and I sat on both sides of Pope,
" Pope. Yeah, what is that gonna help?"
Pope said" I lost my scholarship. Walked out in the middle of the interview. Every- It's gone. It's not gonna happen."
" You did that for us?"
" No, not for us." He stood up," For nothing." We got up,
JJ said" I'm here for you, Pope. Welcome to my world, okay?"
Kie said" JJ-"
" What, Kie? He's right. It doesn't matter anymore." Pope took a hit,
" You don't have to do that."
Pope said" What do you care?" Then John B walked up, with blood on him,
JJ said" Dude! Dude, you good?"
Kie said" Oh, my god! John B!" We ran to him,
" Is this yours?"
" Whose blood is that?"
I said" Hey, you okay, man?"
" John B, are you okay?" We saw a police car,
Pope said" Shit." We all hid behind a pile of stuff, what the hell happened out there on that strip?!

It was dark,
JJ said" John B, what are we doing at the police station?"
John B said" Somebody's gotta tell them what happened." Pope started coughing,
" Whoa. Easy there, Chief. Damn. Alright. I'm just gonna be real with you right now. You might end up in the lion's den, but you don't go there on purpose. It's fundamental. Just like my old man always told me, you should never ever trust cops, no matter what the circumstance is."
Kie said" Your old man's an abusive liar."
Pope said" I agree with JJ. Fuck the police."
" You goin' to the dark side now?"
" When's the last time the police ever helped us?"
John B said" Peterkin looked out for me, alright? Tried to, at least. They need to know." He got out, I don't think this is a good idea, there's no telling what they think they know is the truth!

John B said" Kie! Start the car! Start the car, Kie!" He ran to us, he opened the door,
Kie said" What? John B? What did you do?"
" The cops!"
JJ said" Shit!"
Pope said" Go, go, go!"
" Kie, drive! Go!" A deputy grabbed onto the door,
Kie said" I'm going! I'm sorry!" Kie drove off,
John B said" Go, Kie! Go!"
" What did you do?"
Pope said" Open it." John B opened the door and knocked off the deputy.
———
We heard sirens pass by us, Kie switched the radio off as they started talking about John B's fake murder.
JJ said" Let's game this out. Maybe you guys can help, being the smart ones and all, but..." He sighed," Who are the cops going to believe? Ward Cameron or us? So the accuser is a big-shot developer, kind of lord of the island, got the governor on speed dial kind of person, and the accused... is John B, who is... pretty much a homeless 16 year old boy at the moment."
John B said" Thanks."
Pope said" Shit."
JJ said" Okay, man. Yucatan, alright? I'm saying that's the only option. What other options do you have?"
John B said" JJ, Enough with the Mexico bullshit. Sarah's gonna bail me out."
Kie said" She did witness the whole thing."
" Thank you."
Pope said" And she's gonna snitch on her brother?"
JJ said" Not happening, bro, okay?" He sat up," We've gotta get you off the island."
" The ferry. Its the only way."
" Yeah, exit stage left while you still can, man, okay? Before the entire island is on lockdown." We heard sirens coming our way again,
Kie said" Guys, just get down." We all ducked down a bit till they passed us,
Pope said" Sarah's not a pogue, John B."
JJ said" Yeah. You can't stay here, man."
I said" Gotta get you off the island, man. It's not safe right now."

We were at the dock, Pope went out to check and figure out how we'd get John B onto the ferry.
Pope said" So, um... okay, so, bad news. The ferry's closed, and there is this." He handed Kie a paper and got in, she passed it to JJ and me, and it was a wanted poster, oh... shit? Shit! Shit!
John B said" What is that? What is this?"
JJ said" Well, John B, uh... this is a good framer of you." He showed John B,
Pope said" Okay, so the whole island's lookin' for John B right now."
Kie said" That's a lot of money."
JJ said" Congratulations, John B. You're now famous." He handed it to John B, we gotta get him off this island before they find him.
" Okay, guys, we got to get to the HMS. We need small, no running lights-"
John B said" It's at the château, Kie."
JJ said" And I wonder if the cops got the entire place staked out. Let me think. Oh, yeah. No. They definitely have that place locked down."
Kie said" Yeah, copy that."
Pope said" Let me think. Just give me a second. JJ."
JJ said" What?"
" Does your dad still have that boat? The cigarette boat, the Phantom. The one he used to race."
" Maybe."
" You could get right up to the coast, no problem."
" It won't be easy, Pope."
Kie said" The surf's running from three to four."
" I don't know where the keys are."
Pope said" Well, find them."
" Okay, I'm thinking."
" Why is nobody moving forward?"
Kie said" Can you relax? JJ, how much weed did you give him?"
John B said" Your car's on the poster." Pope started honking the horn,
I said" Pope, chill, man!"
Kie said" That's not gonna help. Don't honk the horn."
A boy said" It's that guy. Right there."
" Shit."
JJ said" We got a snitch. Pope, turn the car on." Then a man was knocking on the window, I grabbed John B's shoulder and turned him away from the window.
He said" He's right there!"
" Turn the car on!"
Kie said" Pope, turn the frickin' car on!"
Pope said" I am trying!"
JJ said" Go, go, go, go, go!" Pope hit the back of a car," Pope! Jeez!"
Kie said" Dude, back up! Other way!"
" It's okay! Pope, just go!" We drove off the road and onto the grass, 
" What's you doing?!"
" That'll bump out!"

We hit a mail box,
Pope said" I'm livin' my best life now."
Kie said" My mom's gonna kill me."
JJ said" I should be the last one to tell you this, but you are not okay to drive. Dude, stop!" Pope screeched the tires," Oh, jeez!" I held onto the back of the seat, as the car jolted at the stop Pope pulled.
Pope said" John B, get out."
" He's right. We'll draw the cops, you run. I'll get the rig, and I'll meet you in the dump tomorrow, okay? Three o'clock, okay?"
John B said" Yeah." He jumped out,
" Three tomorrow at the dump. Come on. Go, go, go, go!" We drove off fast as John B ran through the brush to get out of freakin' sight.

JJ said" Pope, you clocked that car, man. Like, that was so bad!"
Pope said" I'm just glad I'm not driving now." JJ and I laughed,
Kie said" Pull over!" He pulled over, Kie got out," JJ, Kai, it's not funny. He shouldn't be driving."
I said" Shit..."
JJ said" Mama's mad." She walked around,
Kie said" What are you-" Pope moved over she got into driver's,
" Where are we going?" I took the joint from JJ and took a hit,
" The last place they're gonna look."

Kie got out, we were at Sarah's,
Pope said" Perfectly focused."
JJ said" You sure this is a good idea?"
Kie said" She's the only one who can clear John B."
" Last place they'll look because of how stupid it is."
I said" Really freakin' stupid." Pope and Kie jumped the wall as JJ and I stayed in the car." Nick's probably freakin out right now."
" What about your parents?"
" I am dead when I go home. Let's just hope Nick honors the code." JJ laughed,
" What code?"
" If one of us is in deep-deep shit, we hide all evidence of not good-" I laughed," Of not good child. Nick disappeared for 5 days back when I was like-like 13, I hid all his shit in a box labelled Pope's books."
" What?!" He laughed,
" Yeah, 'cause Pope was the only good influence I could think of. Never found it!"