Chapter 12

Sarah turned on the water system, I laughed as the security got sprayed, then ran back as one headed our way. I grabbed Sarah and pulled her into a shed, then I saw bug spray.
I whispered" You're more believable than me." I handed her the bug spray," Lie your ass off. I'll be right behind the wall." She took it, and we walked out.

Sarah said" What is going on?"
A guard said" Who are you? Hey, hold it right there."
" I'm Val. I'm house-sitting for the Cameron's."
" You live here?"
" No, I'm house-sitting. I just started a week ago."
" We caught this guy trying to break in."
" What? Oh, I know him. He cleans boats for the neighbors."
" Which neighbors?"
" Like, the Stanley's. Down the street."
" What's his name?"
" Vlad." Then spray sounds and groans, I ran out,
John B said" Sarah, come on! Go to the car!" We ran to the car, Sarah and I jumped into the back, as John B started driving. A guard ran up,
I said" Go, go, go!"
" I'm going!"
" Faster!" The guard grabbed onto the back, and to Sarah, I kicked at the guard, then Sarah kicked him, knocking him off the truck.

We stopped and got out,
John B said" Okay. I have never loved you more, Sarah Cameron. That was crazy." I leaned against the truck," You straight up donkey-kicked that dude-" She pushed him,
She said" You lied to me."
" What are you talking about? We're fine."
" No, we're not fine!"
" You lost the only money we had! You almost got us caught, if not shot! How is that okay?"
" I am proactively admitting I screwed up and willing-"
" Proactively admitting doesn't do anything. I have lost my father. I have lost my brother. I have lost my little sister. I can't lose you."
" It won't happen again."
" I'm calling the shots now. And to start, I'm driving."
" Okay." She walked to the driver's side, realized it was stick shift,
" I can't drive stick. Kai?"
I said" Mm-mm."
John B said" Got it." I walked to the back and hopped in, walking to the window in the back as John B got in.

John B said" Okay, this is arguably the worst idea we have ever had."
I said" Yep." I climbed out, walking to them," This is beyond idiotic."

We walked up to them,
Terrance said" Look what the cat done dragged in."
Sarah said" I have a proposition."
" If it involves giving you that rock back, that nugget, forget it. You're lucky I'm not on the phone with the cops right now."
" I'm not worried about that, because you saw what was in that safe, did you not?"
" Yeah, I did."
" And it was exactly what we told you it was gonna be. Right?"
Cleo said" Yeah, well, that thing's locked down tighter than a clamshell now."
" No shit. But the gold's not staying there. My dad's gonna come down and move it. He'll have to."
Terrance said" So what are you proposing, a Brink's job?"
" Think about it. You have a boat that can get us away. You know people and the island, and I can find out exactly when that gold is moving. And I'll give you two million."
" Let me get this straight. We take the risk of going to jail and getting shot for a fraction of what's in that safe."
" After you abandoned us? Stole my boat? I don't owe you shit. But I'll give you ten."
Cleo said" Ten million apiece."
Terrance said" I like that. Ten apiece."
John B said" Apiece? Okay. You know what? We're getting-"
Sarah said" John B. Ten million apiece."
" Ten million dollars. We're just throwing money away. You hear that?"
Terrance said" You have yourself a deal, sweetheart." They shook hands.
———
Sarah was on the phone to Wheezie, she walked back in,
She said" Oh, my god. I need you to find out exactly when that meeting is. I love you too, Wheeze."

Sarah said" We're on."
John B said" Okay. I guess we're doing this. I mean, armed robbery. I mean, I'm cool with it, but are you sure?"
" My entire life, Ward has always gotten what he's wanted. Everyone jumps for him. And I thought it was respect, but now I realize that's fear. And, John B... you know the one person who never jumped for him was your dad. He wasn't like anyone I had ever met because he wasn't scared of my dad. This is for him and Sheriff Pete and you and me." John B nodded,
I said" We ready for this, ya'll?"

Sarah said" The gold is here at my dad's house. He's going to transport the gold from our house to a private air freight company located here. We need to intercept that gold before it ever gets on that plane."
Terrance said" Right. There're only two roads that'll take you there. We want to get him in these can fields right here, south of the airport. That's where we spring the trap."
" So, all we need now is some kind of distraction, like a detour."
Cleo said" I can help with that."

Terrance said" Now, you two and Sarah will be dumped off right here. Then right there, where those tree lines are, they're gonna come from that direction. Once Cleo and I get daddy on the ground, you and Sarah can take the gold." This has got to work!

I said" Think our idiots are trying to clear your name back in obx?"
John B said" Probably."
" Think they're getting anywhere?"
" No." We both smiled,
" Yeah, figured. Wonder if Nick went back to school."
" He probably did. You know him, only play during breaks."
" Yeah, but I'm dead... like, that had to mess him up."
" Think he did something?"
" God, I hope not."
" Been thinkin' about JJ?" He smiled, I pushed his shoulders,
" Shut up."
" Come on, who am I gonna tell?"
" We're not having this conversation, John B. End of discussion. And you know what, you left me out, I should be pissed at you."
" I'm sorry."
" Yeah, I've been hearing that. Why'd you leave me, man?"
" You'd protect Sarah with your life. If anything happened, and it did and I'm positive your ass went psycho."
" Told 'em I was on meds, scared Stubbs a bit." He laughed,
" You should be on pills." I smiled,
" Yeah... probably. When we get home, man... the first thing I'm doing is drinking a red bull." He laughed,
" Not go to your family? Or never let go of JJ ever again?"
" Nah, nah, I'll do that after I get my fix."
" You're messed up, man."
" I know that."
———
We were dropped off, Cleo and Terrance drove away to go set up the decoy.

Stubbs said" They got a truck and two defenders."
Sarah said" But just my dad in the truck with the gold, right?"
" It's two in the truck."
John B said" Two?"
Sarah said" Rafe."
Stubbs said" Two defenders, front and back."
I said" Are they armed?"
" To the teeth."
Terrance said" Pistols?"
" AKs."
" Shit is about to be hot." John B got the gun ready.

One of the kids texted,
John B said" Here we go."
Sarah said" Yeah."

We saw the truck, Cleo and Terrance walked up,
Cleo said" Road's closed. Nobody coming through!" We saw them get them out,
Terrance said" This is what we'll do. You're gonna walk to the sign. You're gonna put those signs on the side for me. You go to that sign. You go to that sign. Move the damn sign. You too, buddy. Put it on the side of the road. Go to the barrel. Put the barrel to the side of the road. Put the barrels on the side. Throw another barrel, and I'll blow your damn head off. Take two steps back. Easy! Get on your knees!"
" On the ground. Come on!"
" Hands up. Kiss the ground."
Ward said" Who are you? Who are you?!"
" I'm the royal commission for the redistribution of wealth. Kiss the ground."
Rafe said" You guys are idiots. Our escorts are right behind us."
Cleo said" A wise guy, huh?"
Hohn B said" Okay, here we go."
Terrance said" Go! Go! Hurry! Go! Hurry! Hurry!" We ran to the truck,
Ward said" Sarah?"
" Get down!"
" Sarah! You're alive! Baby! You're alive!"
Cleo said" Don't talk to her! Stay down!" Ward got up,
John B said" Stay back."
" Hey! Stay down!"
Ward said" Sarah! You're alive!"
" Do not talk to her!"
" I love you, baby!" John B pointed the gun at him,
" Stay down!"
John B said" Stay back!" Rafe pulled a gun, Cleo hit him but the gun fired, Terrance hit Ward.
Terrance said" Go on! Get out of here! Go!"
" We gotta go!"
" Go! Hurry!" I jumped into the back as John B ran around to get into driver's side, we took off.
" Shit! They're coming." We looked back and saw the escort coming our way, John B went faster," Shit. Come on. Come on. Come on. Come on. It's too heavy, Sarah. The gold's weighing us down."
Sarah said" Is there any way to make this thing go faster?"
" I'm going as fast as this hunk of shit can go."
" What do we do?"
" I don't know! Hold on!"
" What?!" John B turned sharp, we nearly flipped, he drove down a dirt road and into the field. He stopped the car, we looked back as we weren't being followed. I sighed,
" Sarah. Sarah, we got the gold. Sarah, we did it. We did it. Oh my god." I saw blood on Sarah's fingers,
" I'm shot."

So, how was season 3? And anyone got any predictions for Kai?