41| Crowley Got Kevin

Dean left to go on another beer run while Sam went back to research. Cass had become fascinated with the television set.

"Cass?" I asked hesitantly.

He tore his eyes from the screen briefly to look at me, then looked back at the show.

"Cass, I need a favor..."

He muted the TV, turning to give me his full attention then.

"What is it, Eleanor?"

"Well... and I understand if you can't or don't want to... but..."

I could feel Sam's eyes on me as I struggled to ask Cass to retrieve Maddie and Zep from Heaven for me. It wasn't even that I was scared to ask, it was more the fact that I knew Cass didn't exactly leave Heaven on the best of terms since the whole 'playing God and then letting the Leviathans loose on the Earth' debacle. Based on that logic, he most likely wouldn't even want to show his face in Heaven any time soon.

"Eleanor?" Cass pressed when I was silent for a minute, using his signature head tilt as he looked at me that he used whenever he was trying to understand something.

"Yeah... um... You probably know this, but... Maddie and Zep... well, they're, uh, still in Heaven... and I was wondering if... maybe... you could possibly..."

"You want me to retrieve them for you," Cass supplied and I nodded my head.

"If you could... please?" I bit my lip, holding my breath as I waited for him to shoot me down.

"No."

"Cass-"

"I'm not going back there, Eleanor."

He turned back to the television and unmuted it again. I avoided Sam's gaze as I moved to sit on the other bed from Cass and leaned back against the headboard, closing my eyes for a moment. I still hadn't been sleeping very well since getting back from Purgatory, which meant I was fairly exhausted a lot of the time. I heard the door open and shut and then Dean spoke.

"What's the latest?"

"The latest is... nothing," Sam replied. "It's like it all stopped. No freak disappearances linked to any freak natural events."

There was a sound like Dean had set the beer he'd brought back on the table.

"So, how many we got?" he asked. "Seven?"

"Yeah, uh, Luigi, Justin, Aaron, Maria..."

"Maria, Dennis, Krista, Sven," Cass finished off the list, jumping in so he and Sam were speaking in unison briefly.

I opened my eyes, looking over at him. Sam and Dean were also staring.

"I missed television," Cass said in his matter-of-fact way.

"Wait, Cass. How did you know those are the names?" Sam asked him.

"Well, they're prophets."

"Prophets?" Dean repeated.

"Yeah, angels instinctively know the names of every prophet- past, present, future," Cass still hadn't torn his eyes from the television.

"So this list is the name of every one of 'em that exists?" I asked.

"Yes, until the next generation is born. Plus Kevin Tran, of course. The other seven are future prophets, since, uh, only one can exist at a time."

"Uh, how is Kevin a prophet if Chuck is a prophet?" Sam asked, remembering the author of the Supernatural books we'd met pre-apocalypse.

"I'm not sure what happened to Chuck, but, um... he must be dead."

"So, the next one comes off the bench if Kevin goes down?" Dean queried.

"Exactly. And they have no idea who they are, of course."

"Crowley," I realized.

"Insurance," Dean agreed, nodding. "Boy, he's getting desperate."

"Explains all the weird phenomena," Sam added. "Lower-level demons nabbing heavy-duty cargo. The vessels of God's Word- boom."

"I get the feeling something's going on," Cass stated the obvious.

Sam's phone rang and he glanced at it briefly before answering it.

"Hello? Mrs. Tran? Where the hell have you... What?" he stood up and took the phone away from his ear, looking over at us. "Crowley's got Kevin."

The portal was still shimmering with blue light. Dean took a swing at one of the Leviathans, who ducked and hurled him downhill. I let go of Cass's hand, each of us going for one of the Leviathans. Before I could do any damage, the one I was fighting threw me down toward Dean. We both hurried to our feet, heading to Castiel's aid, who was getting beaten on by both of the monsters. As the male's mouth transformed, ready to eat Cass, Dean swung at it and took off its head. Cass shoved the female and I decapitated her as well.

"The portal's closing! Come on!" Dean yelled.

I grabbed Cass's hand, dragging him to his feet and hurrying after Dean, who'd stepped into the portal. Cass stumbled, nearly bringing me down with him.

"Damn it, Cass. Come on!" I urged him, pulling him along. "Come on!"

I felt his hand start to slip out of mine as I stepped into the portal with Dean.

"Eleanor!" he cried.

"Cass! Hold on!" I yelled, trying to get a better grip on him once more.

"Eleanor!"

"Hold on!"

He lost his grip on my hand, sliding down the cliff.

"Dean! Eleanor!"

The portal closed, taking Dean and me with it.

"Cass, can I talk to you outside?" I asked.

We were at the halfway point between us and Kevin's mom, waiting for her to show up. I climbed out of the car, Cass joining me a moment later along with Dean. I didn't mind, I was sure Dean wanted answers just as much as I did.

"What?" Cass asked me.

"Exactly," I nodded, glaring at him. "What? What the hell happened? Back there. Purgatory. I told you I would get you out. Dean told you we'd get you out. We were there! It was like you just gave up. It's like you didn't believe we could do it. I mean, you kept saying that you didn't think it would work. Did you not trust me?"

"Eleanor..."

"I did everything I could to get you out- everything! I did not leave you!"

"So you think this was your fault?" Cass asked.

Dean still hadn't jumped in to say anything, but before he could get the chance, a car pulled up to the Impala. Sam climbed out, joining us as Mrs. Tran exited the new car.

"You can do this, can't you?" she asked. "You can get him back?"

"How did Crowley find you?" Dean asked her.

"Oh, I hired a witch, and she ratted us out," she dismissed him.

"A witch?" I repeated. "Why'd you hire a witch?"

"To make demon bombs, of course! These are Kevin's notes."

Mrs. Tran shoved a notebook at Sam.

"You have any idea where Crowley took him?" Dean asked.

"No. But, uh..." she unlocked the trunk of her car, "this guy might."

There was a demon inside the trunk bound by a Devil's Trap on the lid.

"Oh," Dean smirked, taking out the demon killing knife. "Let's talk."