Chapter 1: The Fellow

Fandom: The Phantom Tollbooth

At the end of The Phantom Tollbooth, Milo is told he has learned everything he can from the Tollbooth. I say this to give context. This story is a first chapter of sequel to these events.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Much time had passed since Milo's grand adventure with the tollbooth. He was much taller, voice much deeper, and a little scruff added texture to his formally smooth face. Yes, much time indeed. Enough for him to begin to experience the more woeful products of this world and for his last adventure to become a tad hazy.

It happened upon a summer evening. School was let out for the seasonal break, though that didn't stop Milo. Milo had acquired a thirst for learning since his last dance with the tollbooth and all the inhabitance therein. The thirst demanded his attention nearly at all times. Never wasting a second in his day. Striving ever onward to his next endeavor. This time, it was college. Milo wanted nothing more than to get into college, and would do anything to get in. Some would refer to him as a 'shark' as he battled for class rank, internships, and more. Many of his actions and attitudes were less than amiable, but all in the pursuit of knowledge. He would reason: If in the pursuit of knowledge and not a waste of a second, then am I not fulfilling my purpose?

Milo would go from school to home and home to school. He hardly ever saw his parents who seemed to become ever more frustrated with his fashion of coming and going. On this fine summer evening, Milo begrudgingly slammed the door of his room which drowned out the now faint berating of his mother. Even in summer he was a ghost in his family house and might be mistaken for one if it weren't for his occasional appearances. He laid aside his backpack and flopped on his bed, letting his body rest a moment while he began to consider his next course of action. This summer was the last summer before the end of his high school career. It would be evermore important to use this time wisely. It was then, as he was concocting a plan for his summer goals, did he catch a glimpse of something familiar from the corner of his eye. A decorated box as dark as night with a card attached sat patiently in the corner of his room awaiting discovery.

Milo sat up on the bed. Is that the tollbooth again? It was rather odd for it to be anything other than a random gift left for him as Christmas and his birthday were nowhere in sight. However, the more he stared at the mystery box, the more he was certain it was the tollbooth. But why? He was told that he had learned everything to be taught with his last adventure from the tollbooth. What is it he is to learn?

Sliding off the bed, Milo made his way to the corner with the box and took the card. Sure enough, the card described the contents of the box as it had done once before. Maybe it was morbid curiosity or nostalgia, but he opened the box and put everything together as he had done years ago. A little excitement bubbled up in him. Maybe he would be able to see his old friends. He would have liked to go back long before and now the opportunity has presented itself.

Milo took the map and opened it only to find it looked nothing like the one from before. It didn't seem to even be in the same region. He had never heard of the Land of Avari, Asphodel Moor, or the Kingdom of Habor. He has never heard of the likes of Skid Row, Hotel Has-been, or the Court of Remission. These destinations seemed rather out of left field, and most did not sound inviting. For a moment, a thought emerged saying, "You don't have to go." But Milo swiftly threw it aside. If the tollbooth was here, then he must have something to learn from it. What he had to learn, he did not know what, but he did learn a lot from his past adventure. Perhaps, because he is older, he is ready to learn new things. With that, Milo once again got into the toy car and drove through the tollbooth. His destination was the Land of Avari as it was the closest.