[M] Island I: Ching Shih

[M] for language.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The storm seemed to come out of nowhere. I don't even remember hitting the deck. The only warning we had was a monstrous roar before wind knocked everyone to the floor, rain cascaded down from the heavens, and waves began to assault the sides of the cruise liner.

"Everyone!" a voice shouted. "Get inside!"

The sounds of chaos ensued as people tried to fight the rocking boat, slippery deck, and winds that swept you off your feet in a single burst. The rain was so heavy it was hard to see even to the other side of the deck. I could vaguely make out two figures standing at the entrance of the indoor area, motioning for people to come in. Then I realized . . .

"Kal?" I cried, trying to be heard over the wind. "Kal!"

I was with my little brother when the storm hit. My family was finally taking our cruise vacation that was two years in the making. This was supposed to be a good trip, a celebration, to wash away the hardship that had tortured us for half a decade. Now, as I squinted through the rain, I only felt panic.

"Kal!" I shouted.

"Get inside!" called one of the people by the indoor entrance.

I got to my feet. "Kal!"

"Damn it, kid!" called the other. "Get inside!"

"Ka--UGH!" I was flying and the cruise ship lurched sideways. A wave, so high it obscured the sky, came crashing down and took me with it.

~~~~

The first thing I noticed was the screeching. Where from? No clue. Though I was pretty sure I should be dead. Screeching in the afterlife is never a good sign.

"Captain!"

Captain?

"Captain, are you alright?"

Hands shook me by the shoulders and my eyes flew open to come face to face with a very gruff-looking Asian man. Blood trickled down the side of his face, but seemed not to notice as his eyes were entirely focused on me.

"My Captain," said a gentler voice, beckoning my attention. I turned to see another man. He was adorned in more extravagant attire though he too had blood running down his face. "Ching, what is your command?"

"My . . ." I stared at him for a bit too long. Concern became more evident on his face as he helped me to my feet. I was finally able to see more of my surroundings and that's when I not only saw that I was on a pirate ship, but that the screeching was coming from an azure-scaled dragon that loomed over us. I hadn't noticed it earlier, but with every drawn out screech came deafening thunder.

"Uh, f-fire?"

"FIRE!" roared both men to those down at the deck.

"FIRE!" screamed the others.

BOOM!

BA-BOOM!

KABOOM!

The dragon was showered in fire and black smoke which seemed to only make the screeching worse. It glared down at the ship and with a snarl came down a deluge. Rain thundered against the wood of the ship and the winds tore at the sails.

"What is that thing?" I asked.

"A Shenlong! And we just pissed it off!" shouted one of the crew.

"Was it not pissed off before?"

"Shenlongs don't exist! They're a myth!" snapped the adorned man.

"Well then explain that!" The crew member pointed to the dragon as it lowered its head toward the ship.

"Shit!" The adorned man drew the sword from his hip and charged toward the creature.

"Cheung!" The crewman shouted.

Right before Cheung reached the dragon, a blade met his sword with deflection.

A figure dropped onto the deck and the creature reared back its head. "Now, now, don't hurt my dear Shenlong," said the figure, who then made eye contact with me. "Ah, dear sister. Ching. How's the whole pirate gig going?"

"I-I'm sorry, who are--."

"Are you asking who I am?" snapped the figure. "Seriously? Even after you left me in Guangdong to rot?"

"Ching," Cheung asked. "What's he talking about?"

I shook my head. "I don't know."

"You bitch!" snarled the figure. He turned to the dragon and pointed at me with his sword. The dragon immediately locked its eyes on me and roared.

"FIRE!" Cheung shouted. The crew unleashed cannon fire, but even that didn't stop the dragon from taking a swipe at the ship, tearing a long gash in the hull. The ship groaned, and another swipe of the dragon took out the mast. Several crewmen jumped overboard, many screaming to abandon ship.

I slammed into the ship's railing. The air was forced from my lungs and pain shot through my chest.

"Ching!"

I just managed to look up as the tail of the dragon raked itself across the first deck of the ship, flinging me and everyone else into the ocean.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please leave a vote if you enjoyed! All comments are welcome!

Eternally Yours,

~ Phoenix