Bewitched

Fandom: Percy Jackson

Relationship: Percabeth

Setting: Medieval-AU

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They made this arrangement months ago. She was a servant, and he was a prince. She needed to escape, and he needed guidance. This was the final night they would meet. On the eve of the Christmas Ball, a celebration of the prince's engagement to his intended. The contract was complete, he no longer had two left feet, and she would finally gain her freedom. She would be well on her way before dawn and, with the help of the prince, no one would notice until it was too late.

The two waltzed across the ballroom under the winter moon. They had become close since the arrangement. Before, neither regarded the other in any fashion as their paths rarely crossed. It was when the prince stumbled on her and the other servants dancing while cleaning after festivities did he take notice. She and her partner glided across the floor, her golden hair sparkling in the torchlight and her laugh melting the prince's anxieties. So, when he learned of the ball, he came to her. She would teach him to dance in exchange for her freedom, and no one would know of this embarrassment. He had only one rule: she wasn't to look him in the eyes while they danced.

Annabeth respected this request. She never looked him in the eyes when they were dancing. Instead, she noticed the way his shirt would lay on his collarbones, the feeling of his breath on her forehead, and the way his body felt against hers. Her mind would go somewhere else, to a doomed fantasy. She never looked until tonight. Her eyes met his, and he froze, tensing under her hands. She held their shared gaze and blushed as he leaned forward so that his lips were an inch away from hers.

"You've bewitched me," Percy breathed.

Surprise rendering Annabeth's body still. "Is bewitching the only logical explanation?" she asked softly.

"You are dressed in rags, while my beloved is adorned in gold. You are like a grain of sand, while she is like a beautiful onyx," he said, pausing to turn his back to her. His fingers came up to touch his lips as he whispered, "And yet you outshine her. She is a void, while you are the blazing sun. So, yes, bewitching is the only logical explanation."

Annabeth reached for his arm, her mouth betraying her mind as words fell off her tongue. "Come with me."

She heard him scoff with a shake of his head. "Annabeth--"

"Percy--"

"Drop it."

"Why should I?" she asked.

Percy gingerly took her hand as he turned to face her. His emerald eyes glistened by the light of the moon. This time, his eyes met hers with a sad smile as he brought his hand to her face, soothing her skin with his thumb. "Because at my worst, I worry you'll realize you deserve better. At my best, I worry you won't," he sighed. "And you deserve so much better than me, Annabeth."