Island III: The "Dream"

My only wish, thus far, is to stop waking up in weird places. I woke on a cold stone floor. The space smelt musty like I was in a cave. The light was very dim, but I could just make out the faint outline of the stone walls surrounding me. I looked up, following the source of the light and found a metal grate. There was a silhouette peering down at me, "So, you're the land-goer everyone is talking about."

"Seems so," I answered coolly.

"You know, they're gonna kill ya."

"Tell me something I don't know."

"They're gonna suck every ounce of magical energy out of you."

I frowned. "I don't have any magical energy."

The silhouette tilted its head. "Oh, so you don't know."

"Okay, listen, I've gone along with all of this. The pirate ship, the Shenlong, the Atlanteans, and now this mess. Just level with me, please," I snapped. "And who are you?"

"I am your guard. Entrusted to me is the responsibility of holding you up in this cell until we are ready to use you," said the guard with muse in his voice. "As for leveling with you: you're not supposed to be here, are you, hm? Let me guess, you were out on a cruise when you suddenly got thrown into this world."

"How'd you know?"

The silhouette shrugged, "I've heard this tale before. Many have tried to save the morgen from themselves and many have failed. Why do you think many of the Atlanteans were so angry? The others didn't have even a quarter of the magical power you possess. That's why we need it. You can give us the power we need to rule the seven seas."

I narrowed my eyes. "Go screw yourselves."

"Don't worry, I don't want that to happen."

"Oh really?" I rolled my eyes. "And why wouldn't you want to steal something that could help your species."

The guard was silent for a moment, then answered, "Because this dark magic stuff isn't worth it. And, honestly, I like a little bit of chaos."

"So what do you want me to do?"

"I heard a rumor of an old sorcerer. It is said he knows the spell to purify our hearts of this dark magic. The spell could only be produced by a long-goer with great magical power. One who hasn't been touched by the sea."

"Then what are you waiting for?" I asked. "Go get the sorcerer."

"Touchy, touchy," sneered the guard before moving from view.

~~~~~

It was night by the time I heard shuffling outside the grate again. Two figures peered down at me this time. One turned to the other. "So this is the land-goer you promised."

"Yes, she is the one," said the voice from before.

"Hello, land-goer!" called, who I presumed to be, the sorcerer.

"Hello," I sighed. "So what do I have to do?"

"Just listen closely. If you indeed have this magical power as this boy says then you should be able to do this with no issue."

"If it were that easy, why has it taken so long to free these people? And how do I know I can trust you?"

The sorcerer snickered, "You can't. However, the spell and its formation are easy, but finding someone who can produce the spell then having that someone be willing to produce the spell is what's hard. There have been a few who could and did produce the spell, but this is a vicious cycle. Even after you do this, eventually there will be a generation who will not remember the curse of dark magic and will go back to it. Some of the current generation doesn't want to be free and will go back to it. Do you still want to do this?"

I looked around the cell then back up at the pair. "Might as well."

"If you do this, our body will be put under great strain. Calypso will spit you out once you have said these words. You might not remember what happened here when you wake up. If you do remember, it might just seem like a dream. Are you willing for this sacrifice?

"I am."

"Then here is what you do."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please R&R, don't forget to vote if you enjoyed! All comments and/or reactions are welcome! :D

Eternally Yours,

~ Phoenix