[M] Do You, Hero?

Mature Rating: Strong Language

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It never hurts to ask, right? What's there left to lose?

This is what Kaelin told himself as he shoved the blade of his knife between the seam of the second story French windows. Water spilled down from the eaves above, narrowly missing him as it continued its journey down the roof and to the ground below. Kaelin glanced behind him from his perch, the guards at the distant gate still seemed unaware of his presence. He ran the knife up and was rewarded with a quiet click, indicating the successful unlatching of the clasp. With a smirk, Kaelin ran his fingers through his hair, slicking back the mop of white, and gingerly pushed the windows open. They didn't squeak, much to his relief. He eased himself into the poorly lit room. Rain misted the window seal, pricking the hand that still gripped the wood as he crouched, surveying the new environment.

It was a tasteful study. Kaelin could only hope it was the correct one. The wall to his right was made into a bookcase that stretched the length of the room. From what he could tell, it consisted of research topics, mainly containing textbooks and commentaries on psychology, sociology, and criminology. In front of the bookcase, there was a lounge area where a group could sit and enjoy the literature. Off to his left was a desk with a smaller bookcase directly behind it. It was filled with carefully picked books from diverse genres. The spines of the books had faced more wear and tear than the others. That must be the favorites shelf.

Roaring laughter and music seeped from under the door on the far side of the room, presumably coming from downstairs. Sea Raven would be hosting. A hero has to put on a good show for his guests. Kaelin rolled his eyes at the thought. He felt the corner of his lip tug upward in disgust. Maybe you should just kill him.

"No," he growled. "No, I just have to get him alone. Make him listen."

You're so stupid. You've broken into a party full of heroes.

"No! It'll work," Kaelin snapped back as he sheathed his knife and crept his way to the door. He took a deep breath. "Heroes are supposed to help. He'll help me." Calm. This can only work if you're calm. He positioned himself behind the door. If the door opened he would be concealed, and this was a prime position to hear the voices rising from the party below.

Footsteps clicked on the wood right outside the room and Kaelin's heart skipped a beat. He couldn't help the swell in his chest or the smile that broke his face. The door handle tipped down and the door swung open. Sea Raven walked in with a sigh, running a hand through his black hair and closing the door behind him. He was about the same age as Kaelin, early twenties. He was dressed in princely attire, perfect for his party and persona.

"So many people," Sea Raven muttered to himself, walking further into the room. Kaelin could tell the moment the open window registered as the hero froze.

This was the chance he had been waiting for. Kaelin stepped in front of the closed door with a giddy smile. He's here! I didn't even have to go and find him. He came to me! "Some show you've put on tonight," Kaelin said as he drew his knife, holding it as steady as his hand would allow. "Way to throw a rockin' New Year's Eve party." Look at me.

Sea Raven turned on his heels. His eyes glanced down at the knife and took a stance, bringing his fists in front of his face. "Kaos," he snarled. "What the hell are you doing in my house?"

He sees me. Kaelin shrugged. "I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with New Year's myself," he replied. "New Year's is supposed to be a way to have a fresh start. To reinvent yourself. Most people look forward to the resolutions. Actually, they rely on them."

"What are you getting at?" Sea Raven snapped.

He's angry. Why is he angry? "It is my wish to start anew, and I want you to help me."

"And why would I help a villain like you?" The hero's eyes danced around the room, a plan brewing in his gaze until Kaelin flashed the blade of his knife. Sea Raven immediately refocused on him with new suspicion. Look at me!

"I consider myself more of an anti-hero really," Kaelin replied with a shrug. "Maybe even a rebel. Oh! Or a daredevil. So what if I break the rules every once in a while? You should loosen up a little. Especially around the holidays. Us villains need to celebrate just like everyone else."

"But you don't celebrate like everyone else. You're not helping your case."

Why doesn't he understand? He can't be this stupid. Stupid heroes. Stupid. His brain would be of better use decorating the walls. Kaelin clenched his jaw, taking a moment to heave a heavy sigh before speaking. "Personally, I think I'm strengthening it. People seem to like you, hero." Though if you're this pissy all the time, I can't imagine why. "Obviously, I need some help. You're supposed to help people. So, help me."

Sea Raven barked out a laugh. "It's not my job to help you."

Fucking heroes. Stupid fucking heroes. Why don't y'all just do your fucking jobs! Kaelin's hands formed fists. His grip on the knife handle turned his knuckles white. He took a step toward Sea Raven who immediately took a step back. "Why not?" Kaelin asked coolly. Heroes are supposed to help everyone. Why am I any different? Oh, wait . . . "Oh, wait. That's right. I'm not worthy of your help. My fate has been decided in your eyes."

Sea Raven pointed an accusatory finger. "Because of what you've done, I can't trust you. You realize that, right? No one is willing to put their life on the line for you. Why would they?"

Doesn't he get it yet? "Because that's what heroes do!" Kaelin snapped.

Sea Raven sighed, his fists dropped slightly as he released some of the tension in his muscles and relaxed for the first time since he entered the room. What was that in his eyes? Was that . . . pity? The burning inside Kaelin's chest turned bitter as Sea Raven stayed silent with the haunting expression etched into his features. Those fucking eyes.

"So, you have nothing to say? How surprising," Kaelin spat. "You heroes are all the same. All that matters to you is locking the problems away instead of dealing with them."

Sea Raven glared. "Sometimes the best way to deal with them is to lock them away."

"And who are you to say? Who are you to decide who deserves help and who to lock away?" Kaelin demanded. "Who are you to decide for me?"

"You had a choice."

"I never had a choice. Die or die. Might as well make the most of it. If you have a better way then help me, hero. I know nothing of good. That concept was not modeled for me. What does it mean to be good? Do you even know?" Do you, hero?

Sea Raven watched Kaelin closely as he moved away from in front of the door. Kaelin held his knife out as a warning and began to circle back to the window. Sea Raven mirrored him, moving to the door, but he didn't answer.

"No," Kaelin growled. "You don't. If I'm supposed to change, who am I to look to? You? And if you don't know what it means to be good, then who are you to pass judgment?"

"Leave, Kaos, I will not allow you to undermine me."

"Shows a lot, hero, that I came to you for help and you've done nothing to try and save me."

"That's not my job." Yes, it is.

"Was it the job of your mentor to save you?" Let's see how he reacts.

"How do you know that?" Sea Raven snarled. Got him.

"The difference between you and me is that no one came to save me," Kaelin stepped back through the window. Rain drummed on his back.

"Kaos, wait!"

"Goodbye, Sea Raven," Kaelin replied with a wicked grin. Much too gleeful to be kind. "You had a choice too. Let's see if you made the right one. Hero."