Island VI: The Horsemen

Queen Cleopatra wasted no time and spared no expense in the preparation for the gods' banquet. It was the next day and I was discussing the favorites of each of the gods of Egypt with the event coordinator. Did I know the actual favorites of the gods? No. No, I, in fact, did not. However, I do have a wicked imagination. The meeting took all day, deciding on every detail one could imagine. It wasn't until the evening that I managed to slip away.

The air was muggy and the sun just began to rest on the horizon. I gazed out from the balcony of the Egyptian Palace. All was bathed in the golden light of the sunset. I sighed. I still don't remember anything from what happened before. I don't even know where to go from here. It's not like I could pretend to be a goddess forever.

"A lot on your mind?"

I turned quickly. Queen Cleopatra had stepped onto the balcony with me. She approached. "I can imagine that a goddess would have a great deal on their shoulders."

I managed a smile. "Yeah, I guess they would. It be what it be, though, that's just the nature of existing"

"Hm," Queen Cleopatra said. At least I keep her thinking. This has served me well in staving off suspicion so far. "I suppose it is."

The earth began to shake. For a moment, Queen Cleopatra and I stared at each other with the same expression. A screech erupted from the far side of the city and four creatures rose into the sky. There they presented themselves proudly to the residents of Egypt. They were horsemen. All of them were horrifying in their own way but I found myself only focused on one. The fourth, and final, rider was adorned in a cloak as dark as death, armed with a scythe, and followed by a cloud of void which emanated an intense aura that permeated anyone who laid their eyes on it. It rode upon a sickly pale horse.

The very sight of him paralyzed my feet in place. My body refused to react and the only thing that I was allowed to feel was terror. Queen Cleopatra gazed at the four in awe. "Goddess, what . . . what are those beings?"

"I-I . . . ," I couldn't even begin to respond.

"I'm going to send for Mark Antony," Queen Cleopatra breathed and rushed away.

I watched as the four dispersed, laying destruction everywhere they went. What do I do? What even happened? Then it occurred to me: the cult. They had been practicing unholy rituals . . . I needed to go back to the tomb.

I ran as fast as my legs would carry me back to the tomb where all the creatures and gods of the Underworld resided. If anyone knew about these creatures of chaos it would be the underworld. I didn't hesitate when I came to the gaping entrance, I let the calling envelop me and the reward was immediately stepping onto the platform from before.

How does one summon a god or even a creature of the underworld? "Hello?" I called, cupping my hands around my mouth. "Anyone?"

"Who callsss?" growled a voice.

"Uh . . . nobody. Just me," I replied.

"Nobody?" the voice mused. "Even nobody isss sssomebody." The black serpent from before reared its ugly head out from under the fog below.

"We need help. In the overworld," I said. "There are these four horsemen. They're destroying everything. I was hoping that some of the gods or creatures here could help. Maybe train them--"

The serpent let out a laugh. "There'sss no 'training' thessse eonsss old creaturesss. We will not take training from a blink-of-an-eye, sssuch asss yourssself."

"Okay, then can we at least have help?"

There was a moment of consideration, but then the serpent let out a shriek. It didn't take long for many creatures to join him at the ledge including dragons, griffins, and others. The serpent turned back to me. "Will thisss sssuffice?"

A spark of relief flooded my body gazing at the monsters before me. Surely this will be enough to stop the horsemen. "Yes, follow me."

"Thanksss for inviting usss out," the serpent hissed.

I should have known better than to trust a snake. When we exited the tomb, the sky had turned blood red. The beasts all gazed out into the world in awe. I came up beside the serpent and said, "There," I pointed toward the city, "that's where the horsemen were."

"Thank you," the serpent sighed. "Truly. We couldn't have done it without you."

His mouth pulled back in a nasty grin, bearing his needle-like fangs.

At first, I didn't understand. I stood, staring blankly as all the beasts bounded away in different directions and began their destruction. I didn't understand . . . I looked up at the sky, toward the sunset, and saw three figures. They hovered high above, gazing out upon the land. All three were clothed in white, the one in the center looked down on the creatures with fiery eyes. The two others on either side looked like angels with feathered wings, armed with swords. All three wore grim expressions. The one in the center lifted his hand toward the city and the angels departed, racing toward the chaos with incredible speed. All was gone in a blinding flash. Everything: the horsemen, the beasts, and the three figures. All gone.

I blinked, more confused by the second. By the time I made it back to the city, Queen Cleopatra stood talking to a powerful-looking Roman. That must be Mark Antony. His army of soldiers stood ready behind them. They looked as though they had just arrived. Antony turned to me as Queen Cleopatra pointed. He studied me, then snarled, "That is no water goddess. That is a pirate. Seize her!"

In an instant, soldiers bound my hands and Antony motioned to one of the commanding officer's horses. "Tie her, she can walk her way to Rome."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please R&R, don't forget to vote if you enjoyed! All comments and/or reactions are welcome! :D

Eternally Yours,

~ Phoenix