Island II: The Brethren

"Do you think it's alive?" a voice whispered above me.

"Of course it is, you idiot!" snapped another voice. "Look, it's breathing."

Another voice, much deeper, spoke, "Only the chosen one can survive such an attack."

"Can it breathe?" asked the first voice.

"With our magic, yes. She was enchanted when she hit the ocean floor," answered the deeper voice.

Magic? I tried moving.

"It stirs!" screeched the first voice.

"Well don't scare it!"

"Her," corrected the deeper voice with a sigh.

I opened my eyes. Nothing seemed off at first glance. Three faces, two teens and one older, stared down at me. All three were shirtless and bobbed slightly up and down. I sat up and began to notice a few odd things. For one, all three had scales that began midabdomen followed by a tail that swished back and forth. Mermaids? I stared, trying to decide if I was dreaming until the older spoke.

"Do not be frightened," he began in a soothing tone. "My name is Triton, King of Atlantis. These two are my sons, Prince Nereus," he motioned to the eldest looking one of the two, "and Prince Glaucus."

Nereus gave a curt wave, his face was without a smile and looked slightly bored. Glaucus smiled excitedly and gave a longer wave. I smiled slightly and waved back before turning back to Triton, "Where am I?"

"You are in our palace in the city of Atlantis. One of my patrols found you after your fight with the Shenlong." He shook his head. "You had a death wish pissing it off."

"I--okay, listen--"

"--no, you listen," snarled Nereus.

"Nereus," Triton warned.

"Are you gonna help us or not?" Nereus glared at me. His eyes were as dark as a deep abyss. "Apparently, you're the chosen one. So make yourself useful and do what you were chosen for."

"Leave," Triton ordered. "And take your brother with you."

Nereus growled, grabbed his brother's arm, and led them out. Triton sighed, "My apologies. My son is very angry."

"How so?"

"You see, some of our brethren have fallen to dark magic. There was a prophecy by our oracle telling of a foreigner who would rescue us from this horrible tribulation. My son didn't want to wait for the one foretold because the Queen was one of the many tragedies." Triton's eyes looked far away. "I, too, understand his anger, but if we get too hasty it will be our destruction."

"I'm so sorry."

"Don't be. It was our foolishness that got us into this mess. We are now being humbled for our mistakes. It is our punishment to rely on a foreigner who knows nothing of us or our ways and to wait patiently while our friends and family are slaughtered. It is the weight we must bear."

"Okay . . . and you think that I'm the chosen one?"

"I know you are," Triton replied. "It is up to you how you'll defeat our brethren. You have all of our resources at your disposal."

I nod, the pirate ship and now this? There seems to be something else at play here. The best thing to do is probably research and get as much information as I can . . . "I have an idea, please get me a list of all the resources you offer."

"I'll have my scholars and military compile that right now," Triton said, then left the room.

~~~~~

It wasn't too long before all of the resources King Triton had mentioned were in my hands. Lists of their own personnel, allies, battle reports, and their history including what led to their conflict with the morgen. As I shuffled through the files, Triton waited patiently. After he let me consider the information he had brought, he began, "What are your thoughts?"

"I will not be using your military."

Triton's eyes widened with surprise, "Why ever not? I assure you they are very well trained."

"Their training isn't the issue. You told me that Atlantis is being punished for your mistakes. It is a punishment to rely on a foreigner and to wait. Your son will not be the only one who holds that explosive, though understandable, anger. Your military will have a hard time listening to me and that is something I cannot risk."

"Who will you be using then?"

"I want these elves." I handed him the sheet of allies I was given. It had names underlined of who I requested. "Send for them and let them meet me on the battleground."

"You're going alone? That's--!"

"--all according to my plan."

"And will your plan work?"

"Well, I haven't died yet so something seems to be pulling strings."

~~~~~

The morgen had set up camp on one of the ridges overlooking the Atlantean territory. My plan was a simple one. The elves were given their exact coordinates so while they ambushed the morgen, they would send for reinforcements, and I could infiltrate their main city without too much trouble. At least, that's the idea.

I waited patiently inside one of the kelp forests outside the morgen city with a view of the camp on the ridge. As soon as I see the reinforcements leave the city, I'll make my way inside. Suddenly, my vision went white. The ground shook under me. When the light ebbed away, I could see hundreds of mermaids with shark tails rush out of the gate and swarm out toward the encampment. I guess the elves made it to the camp.

After the last morgen exited the gate, I slipped inside. This was a lot easier than I thou--

"And what are you doing here, land-goer?"

I turned around to see one of the morgen, eyes red and teeth like needles. "Um--"

He grabbed my arms and pulled me close to him, I could feel his breath on my neck as he sniffed me. "Hm," he grunted. "You'll have to do."

He drew away and held his hand up to my face before everything went black.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please R&R, don't forget to vote if you enjoyed! All comments and/or reactions are welcome! :D

Eternally Yours,

~ Phoenix