Le Fay Café

The moon was brighter than usual and it radiated an energy I could recognize. A type of energy that with a single breath made it feel like anything was possible. Nothing was out of reach. Like I could do anything. As is the power of a full moon. However, it did very little to stave off the threat of sleep.

I groaned, rubbing my eyes after reading the same paragraph from my World Myths & Legends textbook for the umpteenth time. The caffeine from the latte I had ordered did little to jumpstart any motivation to continue studying nor lighten the sandbags I had for limbs. Only dreads of the drink remained. I briefly entertained the thought of ordering another from the oddly garbed baristas, but decided it would probably be better to wait. As I slowly put my forehead down on the book, I hardly noticed a russet haired guy parking himself right beside my table. "You're studying myths and legends?" he asked, peering over at my pile of textbooks. "I'm a bit of a buff myself! Mind if I sit? Thanks!"

Before I could react, he added his own pile of books to the table and sat down across from me. I squinted at him, he seemed fuzzy at first but came into focus. He was dressed in the same clothing as most of the odd characters in the joint, very elven or wizard-like. A hooded hunting cloak with leaves twined in his hair. I sighed, people are so weird during full moons, "Are y'all, like, from a convention or something?"

"Hm?" The guy looked at himself then around, "Oh, you mean the clothing. Every full moon we like to relax a little. It's all for fun. Morgan doesn't mind."

"Morgan?" I sigh.

"Morgan . . . the owner? Of Le Fay Café?

"Ah, right, of course," I glanced at his books. They were also of myths and legends but focused mainly on dragons. "A little light reading?"

"Yes, dragons. Very finicky--"

Several howls came from outside and there was no missing the role of my eyes. "Gosh, people need to chill. Why do they always act crazy during a full moon?"

The guy frowned, "They can't help it, they have a disposition."

"Disposition?" I reached for the latte cup. "Ow!" I looked and saw that the latte had been freshly replaced. I frown, "Did one of the baristas . . . did you see--?"

"Welp, nice chatting but I gotta get going." The guy stood from his seat, put his books in a leather sack he had on his back, and strolled toward the door, flashing a smile in goodbye.

"Well, bye, I guess." I sighed, looking down at the jumble of black and white that was supposed to form words. Moments later, a roar turned my attention to the front of the café where a dragon dived down toward the road before taking flight.

I blinked. "That's it. I'm going to bed."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope you liked the short story!

Please leave a vote if you liked it! It really helps :D And please feel free to leave any comments or reactions!

Eternally Yours,

~ Phoenix