Chapter Five

"What is it?" Taehyung asks, noticing that Seokjin is leading him in another direction.

"The stream ended but..." Seokjin's voice trails off but immediately, Taehyung recognizes where they are. The soft, billowing breeze, the terrain they're on, and the maple scent tell him that they are approaching the maple tree where his omega dad lies.

At that moment, Taehyung yanks his sleeve out of Seokjin's hold. "What's wrong?" Seokjin asks, confusion in his voice.

Taehyung takes a few steps back, panicked, frantic, and guilty. "I'm sorry..." he attempts to apologize but he knows it doesn't matter. His alpha father is gone and there's no bringing him back.

Taehyung has not visited his omega dad since the accident. He couldn't bring himself to. Won't he be disappointed at Taehyung? He must hate him for killing his alpha father. Who wouldn't? Even Taehyung hates himself.

Doing the only thing he can, Taehyung turns away from his dad and runs. He doesn't know where to but he can't stay.

"Taehyung!" Seokjin calls out after him but he doesn't stop running. He just wants to be alone. Alone, where he won't be a bother to anyone anymore.

Taehyung hasn't run in so long. It feels refreshing to run again so he picks up speed. All the while trying to not listen to any of his thoughts.

He's aware of where he is as he feels branches scratch him and tree roots trip him. It's only when he runs straight into a tree that he's forced to fall over onto the ground, defeated.

He lands with a hard thump and sits up with a throbbing in his head. It's completely silent in the forest except for the sound of his breathing. He can't hear Seokjin at all.

Knowing that he's all alone, Taehyung curls up into a ball. He buries his face into his knees as the inevitable happens and he remembers why he's out here. Unable to control them, tears spring out of his eyes.

He shouldn't have fought with his alpha father. He should've just agreed to the marriage. Then, his father would still be alive and Taehyung wouldn't be all alone, wallowing in misery.

Taehyung's still curled up, crying with his shoulders shaking when he hears a branch snap. In one swipe, he wipes all his tears away. He peers over his shoulder where the noise came from.

He doesn't know how exactly but he knows that it's Seokjin. Seokjin doesn't speak which makes Taehyung question whether it's him. He simply comes over to Taehyung, sitting down next to him.

Another tear slips from his eyes as he recalls where he last was with Seokjin. Seokjin must've seen this only tear despite Taehyung turning his head away so that he wouldn't see because he places a hand on his shoulder. Gently, he apologizes(though he doesn't know what for), "I'm sorry, Taehyung."

Taehyung turns around quickly, pressing his face into Seokjin's chest as more tears drip from his eyes. Seokjin's arms wrap around him, holding his shaking form.

Taehyung has so many conflicts weighing down on him but being in Seokjin's arms, he feels comfortable.

He's not sure how long he cries. Now and then, Seokjin would pat his back which calms him down. Eventually, he pulls away from Seokjin.

He keeps his head down. Now that he has some clarity, he can't believe he cried in front of Seokjin. "Are you feeling better?" Seokjin asks, breaking the silence.

"Somewhat," Taehyung answers with a slight waver in his voice. He curses himself for letting his voice waver but realizes that at this point, it doesn't matter much since Seokjin's already seen him with tears.