3. interviews are hell on earth

08.04.2022

"Good evening everyone and welcome back to the Graham Norton show! Tonight, will be joining me : Florence Pugh and Timothée Chama me to talk about their upcoming movie Far away directed by Luca Guadagnino

"Good evening everyone and welcome back to the Graham Norton show! Tonight, will be joining me : Florence Pugh and Timothée Chama me to talk about their upcoming movie Far away directed by Luca Guadagnino. Later, we'll welcome singer Delilah Jones for Cities (i loved you) her new and beautiful album!"

The woman was backstage, watching Florence and Timothée telling the story of how they both got stung by a wasp because they had to run through a flower field.
Delilah zoned out, focusing on her breathing. She was stressed out and was trying to calm down. She perfectly knew what kind of question she would be asked and she still hadn't figured out what to answer. Delilah hated press tour and interviews with all her heart. There always were personal questions she didn't want to answer. She checked her hair and searched for her other green heel. When she finally found it, she was already late and Graham had announced her. She ran out of the backstage and waved hello to the crowd before giving the host a quick hug and sitting down.

"I'm so sorry! I just couldn't find my shoe! It was hidden under the couch!" she apologized and the crowd laughed. Delilah gave the two actors a small smile before focusing on Norton in front of her.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, Delilah Jones!" another wave of applause. "so, Delilah! Your sophomore album came out this morning and Fast Cars is already one of the most listened song of the month according to Deezer!  Congratulations!"
"Thank you Graham. Yeah, it's amazing, I can't really believe it... The album was received with so much positivity I feel really grateful."
"Especially considering you didn't release any single beforehand."
"I wanted this album to be experienced as a whole. Because, even though I love every song as it's own, it's the entire storytelling that really make the album" Delilah responded.
"Let's talk about the storytelling! How did you build your album?" Norton asked.

Delilah paused for a second, wondering how she was going to answer this without giving any name... She didn't want to face the legal repercussions that usually followed name dropping (especially with the NICE side).
"Well, I began writing most of the songs even before my first album came out. Actually, the album was almost finished be the time Delilah Jones came out. But I felt like I was missing something, like I needed a fourth city." she paused. "As many understood, each city is linked to someone I loved at some point in my life. The album is built around those four cities." Delilah smiled.

Graham took a moment to read the next question.
"Can we address the rumors about those cities?"
"Sure, not sure I'll answer though" This is exactly what she hated. Interviews are hell on Earth.
"So, to the public, you've only been in two known relationships : Yuko Araki in 2018 and Sir Lewis Hamilton in 2021. Can we safely say that they have a side dedicated to each of them?" Delilah cringed.
"I mean, maybe, naming one of my songs Fast Cars wasn't the most subtle thing... But damn, the internet is quick" she laughed nervously. "I will not go into the details of what each song means though, I'm sorry."

Graham nodded and Florence was focused on what the singer was saying. She loved her first album and the second was just perfect.
"Know that Flo is 100% involved in the gossips surrounding your album" said Timothée. His friend had been talking about the album and the rumors non-stop since this morning. The blonde's cheeks turned pink and she elbowed the American.
"It's just that I love you and your work and this album is just amazing! I truly hope that the concerned people understood the message." Delilah thanked her and she flushed from the compliments. Florence Pugh was one of Delilah's girl crush since forever and the actress was even more amazing in real life.

"Do you know if the people the songs are for heard the album?" Graham asked.
"I know one of them heard it and they told me they loved it. Obviously Barcelona can't really know it's about them. No news from the others. I'm not sure I want to know what they think about it though..." Everyone laughed and the singer chuckled... She knew she couldn't stop people from listening to her work but she truly didn't want to face their opinions.

"You mixed multiple genre of music in your album : you have soft ballads, more rock songs, pop and a bit a soul. Why that?"
"I love every genre of music and I am glad my voice doesn't restrict me to one. And I love exploring so I decided to mix because why not! You should know that at first, one of the track was a classical piece composed with the help of Finneas, Billie's Brother and absolute genius. He helped me a lot and produced a few tracks like the hallway, mean and café. And I had the privilege to work with the fantastic Mitch Rowland for Fast Cars"
"Which one is your favorite?"
"i miss you, i'm sorry is probably the one I love the most. I just poured everything I had into this song..."
"How did you meet Finneas ?"
"I've always been a huge fan of his work weither it was for his personal career or Billie. He's an absolute genius. So, when i went to LA to record a few things, i basically harassed my manager until she arranged me a meeting with him. He was imediately hyped by the project and we began working together right away. He encouraged me to be bold and to explore and after a few months, we had the three songs on the album"

"One last question! Do you plan to go on tour for this album? We know you didn't for Delilah Jones."
"At the time of my first album, I didn't find it was necessary to go on tour for a 13 tracks album. But now that I have more songs, I hope I'll be able to! I really want to meet the people following my journey. But if I do I want to make a real world tour and be able to go to as many countries as possible. I don't want people to feel excluded just because they live in certain parts of the world."

Graham nodded along. He then announced the end of the interviews, thanked the public and just like that, Delilah had managed to survive the first interview of her press tour.

sending...

Not my best chapter but I really wanted to include it for everyone to understand Delilah's thoughts and work.
Also I love Florence Pugh with my whole heart

Don't hesitate to tell me what you think of it!

Lilou