Cold tones

For Steven and Y/n's hopefully new friend Amethyst, she tried the bits. The leftover pieces of fries tasted like a whole mixture between completely soggy from grease to also tasting too hard and burnt on certain sides. Amethyst's smile widened when Y/n told her she could have the rest of the bits to which the human girl considered a social win.

The gem and half gem pulled Y/n to various spots among the boardwalk. Unfortunately, most of the businesses were closing for the night but Funland remained open. "Perfect, let's ride a rollercoaster or-" Amethyst began to ramble but Y/n was focused on the Ferris wheel. Amethyst rolled her eyes. "That's not even fun! You guys!" She groaned tugging on the ends of her hair.

"Please, just one ride around." Y/n asked softly. Steven nodded and took one of her hands.

"Come on!"

Amethyst sighed but followed after the two. The line wasn't awful, it only was around a five minute wait, the carts weren't that bad and the sight was stunning. In fact the sight of BeachCity was luminous. The sun was setting, streetlights and various homes were flickering their lights on for the night while the boardwalk stayed lively. The mixture of sounds of the music,park guest and the various attractions felt oddly welcoming. However, in the distance was a sound that didn't blend with the rest of it.

Steven leaned over the railing of the cart, squinting his eyes before letting out a gasp. "That's Sour Cream down there! He must be hosting a rave!" His head turns towards Y/n before whipping around at Amethyst. "We should go!"

"Sour Cream?" Y/n questioned the name, or nickname. It had to be a nickname right? "Does he often host raves on the beach?" She asked, while leaning forward in her seat to get a better view. Down below, on the beach was a decent crowd of people dancing and swinging what looked to be glow sticks in their hands.

"We can go ask him." Steven replied eagerly. He appeared to be so excited and upbeat all of the time, Y/n wished she could understand just how Steven did it.

By the time the trio got off the ferris wheel and went down to the beach, the sun was fully set. Y/n wasn't sure if Sour Cream was playing Rave techno or EDM, maybe a mixture of both either way the crowd on the beach seemed to be enjoying themselves. There was even some oldish looking man in a yellow raincoat dancing with glow sticks like his life depended on it. Y/n cracked a laugh at the sight, wishing she had the energy to match his or any of the crowds but the day's travels had worn on her and her social battery felt like it was about to die. She walked off away from Amethyst and Steven, allowing them to party among the other townspeople and settled near the shore line. She pulled out her cellphone which lacked any notifications and with a sigh slipped it back in. Her hand dug farther into her pocket pulling out a small (f/c) lighter, the only awful thing about beach city was not having a hook up to special greens to smoke.

"Y/n?"

Y/n turned around from the shoreline and faced her younger cousin. In his hand were two glowsticks, one of which was being held out to her. She shook her head with a soft smile. "No thanks, kid." She ruffled his hair, "I think I might actually head back to the house." She pointed with her thumb towards the direction of the beach house. Steven's mouth began to open but she was quicker, "I'll be fine. You stay here if you want and have fun okay."

"Okay, let me know if you need anything okay?" Steven threw out before disappearing back into the small crowd.

Y/n nodded her head gently and started her walk back to the beach house. Once she got to the house and inside she moved back to the couch and her duffle bag. She pulled out her pj's changing in the small bathroom before creating a makeshift bed on the couch for herself. She settled down on it and wrapped herself with the blankets, grabbing her laptop in the process to check any emails.

Her head shot up to the sound of the large door in the back of the house opening and out came Pearl. The tall and slender gem met eyes with Y/n but only for a slightest moment before she cocked her head in a different direction. Y/n suppressed the urge of biting the inside of her cheek and instead glanced back down her screen nervously. "Um... thanks for letting me stay with you guys for the summer." She spoke up hesitantly, her words having the smallest stutter.

"It was Steven's and Greg's idea. Not us gems."

"Oh." A blush crossed Y/n cheeks and lowered her head more into the blankets. "Well..." She peaked her head up once more, "I hope you have a goodnight." She offered.

"Gems do not need sleep but thank you I guess."

Y/n held back a heavy sigh and focused on her laptop before closing it shut and rolling over on her side. She couldn't help but feel as if she was intruding at least just a bit. Then again maybe with time things would be better.