Buddy Talks

Tw: small mentions of addiction & overdose

You haven't slept through the night; around four, maybe almost five am, Lion's mane attempts to suffocate you once more into the beautiful and quiet realm of pink

You haven't slept through the night; around four, maybe almost five am, Lion's mane attempts to suffocate you once more into the beautiful and quiet realm of pink. Although you can't think clearly from your slumber, which still lingers with unpleasant thoughts, somehow, you manage to push the large pink cat out of the house. With Lion outside, the noises of scratching begin to sound outside on the front door. You pile up your blankets and pillows, hoping to avoid the awful sounds of claws digging into wood, and end up on Steven's floor, settling down near his TV.

You toss and turn, your sleep officially disrupted by the constant noise coming from Lion or the threats of your brain ruminating on last night's events.

Of course, last night wasn't truly awful, and it had grown a bit better. Once the man had left you, you distracted yourself by falling asleep under a blanket curled up next to Pearl's cool form wrapped around you.

It was a pretty nice distraction, to say the least. But your thoughts don't want to focus on the softness of Pearl's peach-colored hair or how a being who doesn't see still has her chest fall and rise so gently, one of the main reasons for your fast drift to sleep.

Your eyes flutter open to the sensation of being poked in the cheek. With half-open lids, you meet eyes with Steven, who is already dressed for the day, and the sun filtering into his bedroom is a little too bright for your liking. "N/n, have you seen Ranger Guy anywhere? I can't find him, and I'm worried," Steven says, glancing around the room.

"Ranger Guy?" You mumble, rubbing your eyes, then roll over and pull a pillow over your eyes. "I'll keep an eye out for him," you yawn, your voice still gruff with sleep.

As Steven leaves to continue his search, you attempt to go back to sleep. Moments of sweet quietness pass with the sounds outside gently luring you back to your dreams or so you think until Amethyst kneels beside you with an expectant grin. "Come on, Y/n! We're heading to the deck for some fun! You can't sleep all day."

"You do."

Amethyst shrugs, "psh, that's different."

"Gems don't even need sleep," you remark, and in a moment's notice, Amethyst is holding you above her head as she carries you outside onto the deck, a blanket still wrapped around you. Once Amethyst settles comfortably, she gestures for you to do the same. "Alright, alright, I'm up," you mutter, rubbing your eyes while leaning back in a seat.

"So," Amethyst begins, "Moping, huh?"

"What makes you say that?"

"You slept till noon, and you usually have been waking up early ever since you've gotten here."

"Oh."

The two of you sit silently for a moment, watching the waves roll onto the shore. You sigh softly as you close your eyes, discarding your blanket as sweat coats your skin.