Dancing Queens

"I thought about it

"I thought about it."

"And?"

"I won't be training you, Y/n." Pearl paused, and smoothed her hand over the pink mesh of her skirt. "I'm sorry."

Y/n chewed on the inside of her cheek. Her sight fell to her sneakers, she took a step away from the sink, and wiped her hands on a dish towel. She forced a smile with a sharp intake of breath. "Okay um... Can I get a reason why?"

"You're human-"

Y/n stumbled forward, clenching her jaw.  "But Connie's a human."

Pearl watched as Y/n moved about the kitchen opening cabinets to place the clean and dry dishes away. "Y/n, that is true but, it's just too dangerous. I'm already taking a risk with Connie."

"But she's younger than me. She's like nine-"

"She's twelve."

"I was exaggerating but twelve is still really young to be fighting in a gem war, like- fuck Pearl." The gem winced at the use of the profanity and glanced to see if Steven was anywhere around, to which Y/n rolled her eyes with a scoff in response too. "You care about my cousin hearing me swear but not that his best friend-a child-could be killed by an enemy? By one of those things!" Y/n exclaimed as she gestured with her hands making orb shape. "Whatever those things are that you guys 'bubble'?" She rasped, breath a little too fast at the thought.

"Connie is proving to be an experience swordsman. Plus she's not allowed to accompany us on missions yet." Pearl made an effort to defend as she folded her arms behind her. Y/n opened her mouth to say something and the gem took a step forward. "Y/n, I can't risk another human getting involved in this. Please understand, it's for your own good."

The human stood silently for a moment, and licked her lips as her mouth now felt dry.   Her breath may had been all to shaky as she whispered, "Yeah, okay." Her back turned to Pearl, and picked up the sponge from earlier.

Y/n pulled Steven's phone from out of her back pocket, and pulled up a song, turning the volume up. The music swept throughout the small kitchen, and the main room of the temple with the lyrics offering distraction from Pearl's decision. Y/n peeked a glance at Pearl who began to help with putting the dried dishes away, as Y/n went back to washing. "Have you heard of this band?" To which the gem only shook her head no, "Figures." Y/n hummed out with a small shake of her body to the music. "Guess we're just have to listen to them." She smirked and turned the volume up higher, hiding the bits of cracked vocals and wrong match of pitch as she sung along.

Pearl stood silently in the kitchen, watching Y/n dance ever slightly as she remained near the sink. The gem brows were still together, surprised of how well the conversation went, although it still could have gone better. She just wished Y/n could understand the danger she would possibly be getting herself into, even if it was just for the summer. Pearl inhaled shortly and began to sing along as the chorus came up again in the song, her gaze accidently connected with Y/n's, just as the human sang one of the words wrong. A blush crept over her cheeks instantly as she corrected herself, yet the two of them share a laugh with their voices melting back into the song.