Ch 1

Italic = Jonah signing, bold = texting or writing

(Jonah's Pov)

Hearing pounding on my bedroom door I jolt awake rubbing my eyes. The banging stops for a minute but then starts up again. "Come on Jonah wake up!" Looking at my alarm clock I see it's not even sunrise yet. Sighing I silently get up and go to my bedroom door unlocking it and swing it open with a glare on my face. My older brother is standing there hand raised in mid knock before he puts it down and grins at me. "About time you woke up. Come on or we'll be late." I glare at him and sign angrily. "Our flight doesn't leave until nine. Why get me up this early?" He gives me a slight look. "Because mama wants to make sure we have everything and are ready to go." I huff silently before pouting. You see I'm mute. I was born mute and my biological parents didn't want a disabled child so I was sent to an orphanage. But when I was three the Kim's adopted me and even got all of us sign language classes so I could go to a school for people with disabilities. The only thing is I'm not Asian and that can be awkward for us out in public because of racist people. Especially when I was younger and most people assumed that because I was with an Asian family that I was being kidnapped or something. But the worst was how my brothers friends and classmates treat me. They would make fun of me and make cruel jokes, sometimes I'd even get beaten up. But I never told my brother because it's his best friends. My brother Nikko and I have a seven year age gap between us so he always treats me like a fragile baby. He was also the top student in his class during high school, was the quarterback for his football team and just now finished medical school. Him finishing medical school is actually why we're leaving. He got a job in China for a doctor position and I decided to go with him to get away from all the bullying and everything. Following Nikko down to the kitchen I take a seat at the breakfast table after giving my mom a hug. She smiles handing us plates of breakfast a sad look on her face. "My babies are all grown up now." She wipes a tear away before looking at Nikko sternly. "Now take care of your brother. Don't take to many shifts and overwork yourself." She then turns to me worriedly. "Try to make some friends honey. And try to do good in your college courses." I give a little nod and a small reassuring smile signing "I'll be fine mama." She smiles and then checks the time before shooing us to get ready and grab our luggage. We immediately do as said and bring our luggage to the car before hoping in. Soon we reach the airport and our mom walks us in as far as she's allowed to go. We both give her another hug before boarding our flight I immediately excited and nervous. The only thing going through my mind is "well China here we come."