Ch. 4- Gem Versus the Moon, and Other Odd Occurrences

Hi! Fun fact, when I published Chapter 1, I had up to this point written. I really need to stop procrastinating and actually finish Chapter 5 now.

Also, I'm going to post something in my oneshot book soon that goes with this chapter!

TWs for this chapter: Anxiety, Negative self-talk, Lauren being weird

 Gem lay on her new bed in the wizard tower at the Crystal Cliffs. She knew she had barely faked her way through that meeting. She wasn't in her world anymore, and the people she knew didn't seem to remember it. Cleo and Pearl had thought she was sick, and Gem knew that if she talked to Scar, the answer would be the same.

Gem knew she needed to work through what happened in her old world. The moon got big, everybody freaked out. She left. She betrayed False. But now she was here. She didn't have time to think about that. Her diary was the only reason she knew she wasn't just insane. Now Gem had to figure out how to live in this world.

On top of that, this world had history and things that Gem was supposed to know. It would be difficult to learn anything, since everyone would assume she already knew everything about her past. She decided to start small. Just go to the library and read up on this world's history, and on her fellow rulers.

Gem learned that Fwhip was her twin brother. Huh. She learned that the Lost empire was once great, but fell into ruin, and Joey's goal was to restore it. Gem learned that Joel had only been king for a few months, and that there was no record of Lizzie, Jade, Cleo, Lauren, Kelp or Jimmy ever existing. Gem learned that the people of Rivendell are elves, and House Blossom contains Fae. Gnomes seemed to only be present in fiction and old, old books.

At least, until Gem met a gnome. She was wandering the Crystal Cliffs, trying to memorize the layout so nobody could call her out for not knowing her own empire, when a very short girl just, walked up to her.

"Hi! I'm Shrub."

"Uh, hi, Shub. I'm Gem."

"I'm just taking a look around and meeting the rulers of the other kingdoms. Are you the queen here?"

"Well, the Crystal Cliffs is governed by wizards, but yes, I am the High Wizard. Are you starting your own empire?"

"Yeah! I think I'm the only gnome around, so I don't really know who'll live there, but my place is called the Undergrove!"

"Wait- you're a gnome? I thought gnomes weren't... a thing anymore."

"Well, that's... interesting. I just came from another world."

"Oh, really? That's so cool. I've lived near here my whole life." Gem didn't know why she lied just then, but it cemented the fact that she could never, ever tell anyone about where she actually came from.

"Alright, I've gotta go, I still want to see Rivendell and then get home before it gets dark," The gnome waved, then walked away.

Gem thought about what just had happened. That was certainly an odd occurrence, a weird conversation, and an improbable event altogether. Gem realized that she couldn't just read from her library to find out things, because recent events wouldn't have made it into books. She decided to check if this world had any sort of magic newspaper.

Turns out, it did. Gem purchased a scroll that would update itself daily so she could keep up with current events. It was called the Magic News Messenger, which Gem thought was an extremely uncreative name.

💮

Scar thought it would be a good idea to check on the Oasis Kingdom's new neighbor. What was it called? Asteela? That wasn't right. Now that he thought about it, Scar was pretty sure Asteela is a Pokemon. No, that's Celesteela. Scar's neighbor's kingdom is... something with an A. This A-kingdom was ruled by somebody named Lauren, right?