Chapter 9- Trouble Brewing

I cannot think of what to say here because trying to finish this chapter killed my brain. Also this is the first chapter I've posted in 2023 yayyyyyyyyyy

Warnings: mentioning non-permanent death

"Oh gosh..." Shrub crashed through the undergrowth. The demon was back, she knew that, she'd seen it at the sleepover. But she'd heard his voice again, in the Undergrove, and she'd bolted. "Go away, demon! I'm not scared!" Her voice wavered, betraying her in a lie.

"Are you sure about that, little gnome?" Xornoth's voice asked. Shrub couldn't see where he actually was, but they must have been following her.

She kept on running, ignoring the demon's taunts. If she got far enough away, it couldn't follow her, right? As she went, she barely noticed the foliage going from the dark of the Undergrove's forest, to the slightly brighter, vinier, jungle.

Shrub stopped running, out of breath. She couldn't hear Xornoth anymore. But she didn't recognize the place where she was. She was lost. In the jungle. At night. Absolutely great. The canopy above was too thick for her to take off and leave with her elytra.

Wandering for hours, Shrub was acutely aware that a monster or scary jungle beast might find her. She was short and small enough that the vines and undergrowth would obstruct her from escaping quickly.

When Shrub almost had given up hope of finding her way out that night, and was considering curling up and just sleeping on the ground, the jungle gave way. The clearing had a waterway with market stalls on either side, creating a grand avenue highlighting a large red step pyramid with what looked like a throne room at the top. Was this the Lost Empire? It must be; Shrub didn't know of any other civilization in this jungle.

Tentatively walking beside the water, Shrub wondered what to do. She should probably try to find the ruler of this place. She hadn't actually met him yet... The sound of someone landing beside her startled Shrub. She turned, and saw the very man she had been thinking about finding.

"Greetings," The king said, puffing out his parrot-like wings regally. "I am Emperor Joey of the Lost Empire. What brings you here?"

"Well- I was sorta running from a demon, and I got lost. I'm Shrub, by the way. Uh- of the Undergrove." Shrub responded awkwardly.

"The jungle has a way of bringing those who are lost to the Lost Empire," Joey said eloquently.

"I guess that's what happened, then."

"Sometimes it's like the jungle has a mind of its own."

In the silence before Shrub could come up with something to say, she heard an indistinct whisper.

"Did you hear that?" Shrub asked.

"Uh..." Joey's eyebrows scrunched in confusion. "Hear what, exactly?"

"There was a whisper! Or something..."

"It was probably just an animal. There are lots of nighttime noises."

"But it sounded different... or maybe I'm just imagining things." Just as she gave up on the idea of the whisper, Shrub heard another.

Joey's eyes widened. "Okay, that did sound like a voice."

"Could you tell what it said?"

"No, it's so quiet. Who even could be talking? There's nobody else out this late."

Shrub had an idea of who it might be, but she kept quiet. If it wasn't the demon, then she'd just be freaking Joey out for no reason. "I don't know."

Another whisper, this time loud enough that Shrub could tell what it said. "You're in danger."