five

TW: Alcohol use

- - - - -

September 6th, 1997

With the end of the first week of classes came the first party of the year. Slytherin always hosts the first party of the year, which is why the common room is currently filling up with students from all four houses, most of them fifth year and above.

Once I reach the bottom of the stairs I make a beeline for the drinks table. After the utter chaos from this first week, I am in desperate need of a drink.

I find a bottle of firewhiskey and pour some into a cup until it's enough to get my tipsy. I'm screwing the cap back on when someone comes up beside me and leans against the table.

"Hey, Alex," He says.

"Oh-, va te faire foutre," I mutter. I look up and attempt to fake a smile. "McLaggen," I reply, keeping my voice impassive.

"How are you?" Cormac asks.

I set the bottle of firewhiskey back down and turn to look at my ex boyfriend. "I'm good, how are you?" I ask, simply out of being polite.

"I'm fine."

I nod and go to walk away, but Cormac decides to keep talking. "So you're dating Nott now?" He questions.

"Yes, I am."

Cormac frowns, "You know he's my cousin, right?"

"Isn't almost everyone here cousins? It doesn't matter, I've known Theo longer than I've known you," I reply.

Cormac doesn't have a reply, so pathetically he says, "I miss you, Alex."

"Cormac, we dated for three months last year, get over yourself," I say.

"So what we had means nothing to you?" He asks.

I have to fight the urge to start laughing in his face right now. "You were an awful boyfriend, you had a crush on Hermione Granger for half of our relationship, and the other half you were constantly flirting with other girls, and let's face it, you're not the best in bed."

Cormac just gaps at me, clearly at a loss for words. I don't think anyone has ever ego checked him that hard before.

I turn around to leave only to collide with Theo, almost spilling my drink on the floor.

"I was just looking for you," Theo says with a smile. He puts his arm around me and looks behind me at Cormac, who still has his jaw dropped and his face is bright red. "Are you bugging my girlfriend, McLaggen?"

"No, no, of course not," Cormac replies before turning on his heel and retreating back towards a group of Gryffindors who don't look pleased to see him.

"Merlin, fils de pute. He was like I miss you, did our relationship mean anything to you? So I told him how I really feel about him," I rant.

Theo laughs, "So that was why he had that look on his face? He's such an arrogant prick."

"Glad we're on the same page," I say. "Want a drink?"

- - - - -

The night has gone by in a flurry of shots and loud music. My entire body feels light and I'm having the time of my life even though I'm going to have the worst hangover in the morning and wish I was dead.

Someone is in charge of music and is currently playing Tupac. I'm dancing with Daphne and Pansy before Blaise shows up and him and Daphne disappear upstairs.

"I'm going to get another drink," I yell to Pansy over the music.

She just nods and downs the rest of her drink.