nine

TW: Drug use (marijuana)

- - - - -

November 21st, 1997

It's pitch black outside with it being nine in the evening. A light dusting of snow falls down slowly, melting within seconds of touching the ground. It's unseasonably early for snow, but it will all be gone tomorrow anyways.

I watch the snow falling outside the window. It looks so peaceful.

"Alex?"

I pull my gaze away from the window and look at Theo.

"You got a light?" He asks.

"Oh, yeah," I say. I grab my yellow lighter from the pocket of my sweatpants and hand it to Theo.

Theo, Daphne, Blaise, Draco, Pansy, and I are all sprawled across the Head Boy and Girl common room. There's a loveseat, an armchair, and a very soft rug that I'm currently sitting on next to Theo. There's three doors that branch off of the main room, leading to the Head Girl's room, the Head Boy's room, and the bathroom.

Draco and Pansy never used this place up until last week when they both decided that they were moving out of their respective dorms. Now they live here, using only one of the bedrooms, and the rest of us are spared slightly from their constant bickering or snogging.

I miss having Pansy in the dorm, but there's a lot more room with just Daphne and I, and I don't have to worry as much about walking in on something I don't want to walk in on.

Theo sets my lighter on the coffee table beside him. He licks the top edge of the rolling paper and seals the joints with one final roll before raising it up and looking at it.

"That's some of my best work," He jokes before grabbing the lighter again. He places the joint between his teeth and lights it. I watch as Theo takes in two breaths, exhaling the smoke out of the side of his mouth. "Want some?" Theo asks, holding the joint out to me.

I take it from him and inhale deeply. The smoke fills my lungs but it doesn't even phase me anymore. I exhale the smoke and take another hit before passing the joint over to Blaise.

"Now that's good weed," Blaise says before passing the joint to Daphne.

"I'm telling you, Hufflepuff always has the good stuff," Theo claims, leaning back against the coffee table and resting his arm behind me.

Pansy laughs, "Yeah, Huffle-puff."

All of us laugh and pass the joint around again. This time, when Theo goes to pass me the joint he just holds it up to my lips. "Inhale," He says, making eye contact with me.

I do, and then Theo pulls the joint away and takes another breath before passing it along.

It's getting obvious that the marijuana is starting to affect everyone. Daphne is giggling, Draco looks the most relaxed I've ever seen him for years, Blaise and Pansy are cracking jokes, and Theo's starting to get affectionate.

Theo and I have always been affectionate, ever since we were younger, but whenever he gets high he gets more affectionate than usual. Never in a sexual way-, at least to my knowledge, but he just always want to be touching, whether it's just our shoulders pressed together, or his head in my lap.

He wraps his arm around my shoulders and I rest my head on his shoulder. Our legs are tangled together and our hands are intertwined in my lap.

I focus on the music coming from Pansy's stereo, someone had put on R.E.M. and Michael Stipe's voice is acting as a background noise to everyone's conversations. I zone out of what everyone else is saying.

Every whisper, of every waking hour

I'm choosing my confessions

Trying to keep an eye on you

Like a hurt, lost and blinded fool, fool

Oh no I've said too much

I set it up

"It's snowing," Theo says softly. His shoulders move slightly as he speaks.

I smile, "I know."

"I like snow," He continues.

"Yeah?" I ask, a small smile on my face.

"Yeah," Theo says. Even though I can't see him since I'm leaning on his shoulder, I can tell that he's smiling right now. "I hope it snows for Christmas."

"Me too," I admit.

Draco and Pansy get up from the armchair, and Pansy leads Draco towards one of the adjoining bedrooms.

"Goodnight guys," Draco says quickly before Pansy pulls him into the room and the door is shut behind them. One of them must've cast a silencing spell because it's silent after the door is closed.

Blaise laughs, "At least they remembered Muffliato this time." He gives Daphne a kiss and starts running his hand through her long, dark hair.

"Want to go back to the dungeons?" I ask Theo, lifting my head off of his shoulder to look at him.

Theo nods and gets up, extending a hand to pull me to my feet.

"Goodnight," I say to Blaise and Daphne. I get no response back since the both of them are too busy snogging to come up for air, let alone say goodnight.

Theo leads me out of the common room and we step out of the portrait hole and into the empty corridor. It's almost curfew so there's not a soul in sight.

"We're going to get in trouble for being out past curfew," I say. I don't actually care that much, but I'd rather not have detention.

Theo thinks for a second then grins. He grabs my hand and takes off running down the corridor. I have no chance but to follow after him. I laugh as we run down the empty corridor. Theo turns around to look at me, just nearly dodging a corner.

"We're not going to get in trouble," He laughs.

We're still running by the time we reach the stairs to go back to the dungeons. Theo stops running and I accidentally run right into him from the momentum. He grabs me and steadies me with his hands on my waist.

Theo and I make eye contact and then he's leaning in to kiss me.

It's just one innocent kiss before Theo is pulling away.

"Merda-, sorry," Theo mumbles. "There's not anyone around."

I stare up at him, my gaze accidentally flicking down to his lips more than once. I know I shouldn't, and that it was just one silly little kiss, but I would give anything to kiss him again right now. I'm blaming this on the fact that I'm high and that everything just feels nice.

"It's okay. Someone could-, someone could walk past," I say, not breaking eye contact.

Theo nods, "Yeah exactly."

He pulls his gaze away from me and looks up, exhaling loudly. "We shouldn't," Theo says, looking back at me. His voice sounds slightly pained. "It's past curfew and I wouldn't want either of us to get detention."

"Yeah, of course, you're right," I say. The words are coming out of my mouth faster than I can process them. "We should just go back to the common room, it's getting late anyways."

Theo gives me a small smile and the two of us go down the stairs and back to the Slytherin common room.