fourteen

Note: It's my birthday!!!

This is Alex's dress - https://pin.it/3fO9F3H

TW Light Alcohol Use

Song for the waltz: The Nutcracker - Waltz of the Flowers

- - - - -

By the time I finish getting ready, Theo is already downstairs waiting for me. His father had called him down to greet the first of the guests arriving. I take a look in the mirror of Theo's bathroom and make one last adjustment to my hair before I go join him downstairs.

My dress is cascading down to my feet, so I have to hold it up as I walk downstairs despite the fact that I'm wearing heels. I'm wearing a black ball gown with v neck. The skirt of the dress has layers of tulle that flow around me and the top of the dress fits perfectly and has lots of detailing on it.

When I get downstairs, the ballroom is already starting to fill with people.

I spot Theo. He has his back turned to me and is speaking with Draco, who must've just gotten here. Lucius Malfoy is talking with Theo's father, and Narcissa is standing at his side with a passive expression on her face.

I go up behind Theo and rest my hand on his shoulder. "Hi," I say, going to stand beside him.

Theo makes eye contact with me then he looks me up and down, then he does it again before meeting my eyes again. "You look gorgeous," He says, his voice sounding slightly strained. Theo dips his head and gives me a quick kiss before pulling away and running his eyes up and down my body again.

"Merlin," Draco mutters. "Eye fucking already."

I lean forward to look at Draco, who already has a drink in his hand. "Hi, Draco," I smile.

"Hi, Alex," He says, mocking my smile.

I want to flip him off but there's a lot of people here already who I'm pretty sure wouldn't think too fondly of me if they saw.

Theo's gaze drifts over to the entrance of the ballroom. "Pansy's here," He says, nodding towards where she's walking in with her mother and father. She's wearing the emerald green dress she bought and she looks absolutely amazing.

"See you," Draco says before he sets his drink aside and goes to greet Pansy and her parents.

Theo smirks, "He's such an idiot."

"He really is," I agree.

"Do you want a drink?" Theo asks

I nod, "Sure."

A floating platter full of champagne glasses comes by a few seconds later so Theo grabs two glasses and hands one to me.

"Thank you," I say before taking a sip of the champagne.

A couple minutes later, Draco comes back with Pansy, and I give her a hug. Theo grabs two more glasses of champagne for them.

"So, how was your Christmas?" Pansy asks me quietly while Draco and Theo are talking. There's a slight suggestive tone in her voice.

I glance over at Theo briefly. "It was good, really good," I say. "My mother loves him. She's never going to shut up about him actually."

Pansy grins, "That's really great, Alex."

I see the Greengrass's enter the ballroom. Blaise is with them, Daphne holding onto his arm. He's spending the entire holiday with Daphne and her family. Pansy sees them as well and waves the both of them over. I hand my glass to Theo and turn around to grab two glasses of champagne for Daphne and Blaise.

When they reach us I hand them the glasses and Daphne gives me a kiss on the cheek.

She asks Theo and I how our Christmas together is going, then she proceeds to ask Pansy and Draco how each of their Christmases was. It seems like all of us are having a pretty good holiday, but Draco the least of all simply because Malfoy Manor is being used as Death Eater headquarters. I'm pretty sure that I'm not supposed to know that, but it's not too hard to figure out, especially since Draco's a Death Eater, barely, but it still counts, his dad is as well, both of Pansy's parents, and Theo's dad.

The six of us talk and drink champagne and I can feel Theo's eyes on me the entire time. Whenever I catch him staring, he just smiles at me.

Theo's arm is around my waist and there's less than an inch of space between our bodies.

There's music playing in the ballroom and people are dancing to it. It's not the kind of dancing we do at parties in the Slytherin common room, it's waltzing. Every single person that I know from a "good, Pureblooded family", as Tiberius Nott would call it, was taught how to ballroom dance at a very young age. Even though my mother chose not to be a part of this "lifestyle" after falling in love with Matthew's dad, a muggle, she still taught me and Matthew how to dance properly.

Theo leans in and his lips brush against my ear. "Do you want to dance, Alex?" He whispers.

I turn my head to look at him and smile. "Of course," I tell him.

Theo grabs my drink and sets it aside along with his. Then he takes my hand and leads me into the center of the ballroom. He takes my hand and rests his other hand on my waist and then a new song is starting.

He twirls me through the ballroom, his hand steady on my waist.

"I have a question for you," I say quietly.

Theo stares at me intently. "Go ahead," He says.

"Why were you, Draco, and Blaise in a ring store at Hogsmeade?"

Theo raises an eyebrow at me. "Spying, were you?" He teases.

"It wasn't my idea, I tried to stop them."

Theo glances over my shoulder before meeting my eyes again. "It's a surprise, so you can't say anything," He hesitates and then leans in closer. "Blaise is planning to propose to Daphne over the holiday."

My jaw drops momentarily and then I try to put a neutral expression on my face. I glance to the side to see Blaise and Daphne dancing. They've already been dancing for quite a bit and both of them are smiling and whispering to each other.

"It's a surprise, remember?" Theo asks.

I stare up at him. "Of course, I won't say anything," I say. "I'm so happy for them."

"Yeah, me too," Theo says.

We continue waltzing and Theo's eyes are locked on mine the entire time. He looks really good. Theo is wearing an all black suit that looks like it was made for him.

I try my best to keep my eyes on his but they keep flicking down to his lips. Theo notices and smirks, not saying or doing anything. I want him to say something. I want him to do something.

The song ends and Theo steps back from me slightly, his hand falling from my waist. He still holds my hand as we walk back over to our friends.

The rest of the night Theo and I stand close enough that we're almost pressed up to each other. We dance a couple more times and drink a bit more champagne. Theo's eyes never leave me the entire night and I begin to find it harder to look anywhere but him.