Chapter 27 (fully edited) 1559

Lee still lived next door. We could see into each other's rooms from our windows. I hated to admit it but always seeing into his bedroom, where he lied on his bed in the morning, brightened my day. It's more than you can even imagine. I wanted to talk to Lee and ask him for a ride to school today.

"Lee?" I texted him. I just wanted a ride to school.

"Kylie? What's wrong?" He replied.

"Why do you always assume something is wrong whenever I text you?" I questioned.

"Because I have always texted you first unless you needed something," he claimed.

"Ah, ok. I need a ride to school. I don't want to ride the bus. The bus driver made me sick with his driving, starting then stopping, constantly," I explained.

"That's what bus drivers do, Kylie. They start the bus, drive, stop the bus and pick up someone. It is how a bus ride is." He said mischievously as I could see the laughter in his words.

"Haha. Not funny" I replied, secretly thinking it was really funny. Lee was always such a character, trying always to make me laugh.

"Yes, I can give you a ride. Because I think we are still friends and all."He started driving me to school, and we were almost there when another stoplight stopped us. In the other car were Aaron and Neisha. Again. Talking about Deja vu.

"Why do we always catch each other at stoplights?" questioned Aaron.

"I don't know; it feels like that scene from Fast and Furious seven," replied Lee.

"I hated that scene because Paul Walker died, and it was just so sad. I cried for a long time after he died because he added such a plot twist to the movies, and then he suddenly died," said Neisha.

"Can we not talk about death?" I questioned.

"Oh, yea. Still a little touchy subject for you?" questioned Neisha.

"Yea," I said glumly, as I thought about death.

"Sorry." She apologized.

"It's okay," I confirmed.

"Since when did you two become all buddy-buddy? I thought you guys hated each other. At least last time I checked, Neisha was always picking on you and taunting you, and you always took her crap and dealt with it?" Lee questioned.

"We just grew together after Kyle's death. She helped me through the grieving process; we've been pretty close since then. She was here when I was avoiding Marissa and you."

"Oh, okay, but why were you avoiding us?" Lee questioned.

"That's a long story. It has to do with Kyle and you. It's just way too much to get into right now." I replied. I didn't want to think of Kyle, but for some reason, I always managed to think of him.

"Okay, alright. Well, tell me when you have the time." Lee answered back.

"You are lucky. Lately, I'm always busy. The only time I have is tonight." I replied.

"Tonight doesn't work for me. I have to go out of town for personal reasons." Lee spoke quietly to me.

When the light was green, we raced, this time, Lee had beaten Aaron, and we were at school in a heartbeat. I couldn't shake the feeling that something was going on with Lee. I texted Marissa.

"Remember when I told you to investigate, and then you said you would tell me if you found anything?" I was hoping she had dug up some dirt on Lee.

"Yes," I received a reply not even a minute later. I was on the edge of my seat as I stared at my phone waiting for her next answer.