Chapter 14 (fully edited) 1760

This mysterious man took us to some nearby abandoned buildings and assured us everything was safe and we would be okay. I wasn't as sure, but I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt. The houses looked creepy initially, but after you got into the place, you realized it was much more beautiful than on the outside. The mysterious man asked me to dance, and I said "yes."

Who wanted to let down a man you didn't know? Otherwise, something terrible could happen. However, the more I danced with him, the more I believed that this was fate and that this man was the true man for me. I was hoping that Lee was just a phase and that my mind was fresh and ready to fall in love. Was I pushing it too fast? How could I feel this way so soon?

After we danced, the man took me into a room, and I left the door open to keep me comfortable. For some reason, I felt that this man was different. I hoped this man was different. If it had turned sour, I had been through way too many wringers to make my way back into romance.

He started to speak so softly that it was hard to hear his words. "I know you are a little scared, but I want to show you. That you are like this house, nobody can see how fun you are. On the outside, you seem scary, unapproachable, and unknown. But seriously, do you know how amazing you are on the inside? You are like a geode where on the outside you are ugly, but on the inside, you are crystal-like and sparkly." He reached for my hand.

I thought he grabbed my hand to give it a high-five, but unfortunately, no. He took my hand as if it was going to be a high-five, then put his hand on mine and wrapped his thumb around my hand to hug it. I thought it was a little weird, but it was a cute kind of weird. You know, the type that stuck their tongue out at a video camera or made a pretty duck face while taking a photo. Yeah, that was cute and weird.

I always tried to push myself to talk to people more because I was a complete introvert, except when I was dating Lee. I didn't like talking to people because what if I told them I had Aquagenic Urticaria and they didn't like me anymore because they thought it was contagious, or if Neisha found out? That would be horrid. She would try to hurt me since she hated me and seriously didn't care if I lived or died. There were two types of people that I had learned about so far. People either wanted to hurt me or were afraid of me. Lee was one of the ones that tried to break me. Maybe not outwardly, as he obviously had to put on a good facade when he helped me with Troy, but inwardly he didn't care if he hurt me. I had decided that I would live my life and that I no longer needed a man.

When I dated my first somebody, it sucked because I felt almost incomplete after my first love. This was why so many people ended up marrying their first love. Then their first marriage was hard to let go of. They tried to fit circles in a square-only spot and kept pushing because they didn't want to fail at marriage. Nobody wanted to fail. Some people in their second marriage said it was so much better to get rid of the bad marriage, and they would never be afraid of divorce again. They didn't want to feel vulnerable. That's how I felt. I felt that my life was incomplete without a man. I didn't want to fall for this man because he seemed genuinely fantastic. He made me smile, and he spent all his time texting me. If I told you how much he texted me, you would think he was a stalker. Clearly a red flag, but I didn't really care.

Marissa was nowhere to be seen; I had started to wonder what had happened to her. I mean, usually, she was like an extra limb attached to me. she had been so secretive at that time. Did she find something out about Lee? Was she lying about something else to me? That was much worse than if she found out. I thought too much. Hey! I was a girl, and sometimes we overthought things. Well, actually? All the time, we thought about everything. I needed to find her.

I went through all the rooms in the creepy, mysterious house. I couldn't find her and didn't want anything to happen to her. Then I accidentally ran into her when I wandered to the bathroom because I needed to pee. She was singing karaoke and slowly dancing on the table, everybody continually cheering her on.