Chapter 3 (fully edited) 1820

The next day I begged my mom to go to work with her because I finished my homework. When I walked into the classroom, I could see Lee. We often texted during class because we would have work time, and my mom was a chill teacher. Everybody loved her because she would only point students out if they had lower than a B, and she always offered extra credit. Unless you were doing nothing in class, it was an easy "A."

She believed in all her students and did not give up on them no matter their grade. She would give people extra time to do extra credit. Although she made you work your butt off once you started failing, she never gave up, and as long as you put in the effort, the teacher was always there for you. My mother was a great teacher. She put in the effort and expected the same of the student.

Lee texted me, asking if I was going to the game that night. I told him I had to try to convince my mom.

I looked at the weather and saw a 2% chance of rain that day, and I hoped my mom would just grin and bear it.

"Mom, can we please go?"

Outside of school, she wasn't so easygoing. She loved me, so she was overprotective and cautious of the people I talked to.

"We can go but bring your rain clothes with you and leave them in the car."

That night I went to the football game because I figured it would be a fun and new experience, and my mom could be reassured that I was safe. My mom went to the bathroom, and Lee was there with his friends. He was just messing around with his friends. I smiled and looked at him. I have to get a hold of that flushing in my cheeks, I thought to myself. Lee saw me, but I didn't approach him because I didn't want to embarrass him. So, I sat by myself. My mom was talking to the man behind the popcorn stand.

I watched Lee from where I was sitting, and I saw him disappear out of sight. He was probably embarrassed by me. I understand it, that's why I didn't have friends. I was too busy watching the football game anyway, and I wasn't paying attention.

He came by me out of nowhere with this massive cotton candy ball in his hand. He smiled a goofy smile. The cotton candy was more significantly larger than his head. I told him I didn't want to get in the way of his friends, and he nodded.

He turned to me and said, "You know that you are amazing at basketball, right? Don't let anybody tell you that you aren't. I had to try to beat you and didn't even beat you!" He smiled a cheap grin hoping that I would smile back.

I smiled. A warmth hit my heart, and the butterflies fluttered in my stomach.

"And I care about you; I have since third grade," he confessed as I noticed his cheeks reddening.

He hugged me. I felt so safe in his arms, and he smelled good, like home. I felt like the whole world was right. I didn't even think of my disease. It felt like nothing was or would ever be wrong. He smiled at me and walked away with his friends Aaron and Drake.

My mom came back and sat down. She smiled and asked me about Lee

"So, you like Lee?" she nudged my shoulder, laughing a little.

"Yes, I do, but it's complicated!" I confided.

"Does he like you?" she interrogated.

"I don't know!" I said a little louder.

"Oh, ok. Well, maybe you should be outside more. Try painting something interesting like basketball or create a poem about it."

"Okay, I will." I thought to myself. I had hoped maybe this would actually win him over.

The next day I wanted to go to school, but I also wanted to work on an art project since I was inspired. I put on my overalls covered in paint and grabbed my paint and paintbrushes. I got some water and placed my easel facing my house.