Chapter 28 (fully edited) 1492

The locket wouldn't open, but I'd never seen a pendant like this before. It looked to be from an older time. Maybe the 1800s. This pendant said the word Link on it, and that's when I realized that Link wasn't a person, it was a codename. I didn't know what to do. However, my suspicions were confirmed. He was hiding something from me. I didn't know what exactly was going on. I decided I would try and sneak back into his room to see if I could make him spit out the truth, but I thought that was utterly helpless. I didn't even know if he was who he said he was. What if he's some serial killer like the one that drowned all those people at Kyle's and my spot? I didn't know if he was like, "I could tell you, but I would have to kill you type," or a specialized doctor who was sent to test me, to take my skin cells and test them for STEM research. I pretended I had not found anything suspicious in his house and continued throughout my day.

"Lee, can we ever hang out?" I texted him, I was curious about his response. We hadn't spoken about us and our friendship in a while. I was still grieving from losing Kyle which only pushed me into Lee's arms.

"Yes, tonight. What time?" He answered almost immediately after I had asked him.

"How about six tonight?" I questioned. I wanted to secretly snoop through his room and see what he'd been up to since I wasn't in his life anymore.

"Sounds good. I gotta head somewhere to do something. After that, I will see you then." He responded a few minutes later. It felt like forever because all I did was stare at my phone and watched the minutes tick by.

The school was boring once again. Nothing seemed to be ever going on. It sounds terrible, but naughty schools were the entertaining ones, and the boring schools just bored everybody to the point where they were sleeping. It was like this." Napoleon Bonaparte was an important person in history. Because," and then all the students zone out because they are thinking about other things, whether it's their boyfriend, Napoleon ice cream, or how bad they'd like to put a paper bag on this teacher's head. Or there were those students who would snore through the whole class, and the teacher ignored them. I was not like the other side of the class because I was homeschooled for so long that I didn't go into much depth. So I was pretty interested in Napoleon Bonaparte and why he was famous. Others weren't interested as much as I was, though.

So I will admit I was a little bit of a nerd, only because I hadn't heard the information a thousand times like the rest of the class did. I was daydreaming a little about seeing Lee that night. I never did find out what Napoleon Bonaparte was famous for.

Once school was over, it was around 4 when I got home. I got ready. I cleaned myself up like it was going to be an actual date. I wore my hair up in a bun, and I put on the shiny blue sequined dress that Neisha recently bought me; she told me it brought out my eyes. I was hoping to create a couple of widened eyes as he saw me waiting on the bed in his room. Waiting for him to love me. The way I always knew he had loved me. For him to just put his arms around me, hug and kiss me, and then tell me he loved me. All this time, Lee loved me for who I was and for my disease, and I was so excited to share something I had already shared with him. The desire to want to love, specifically me. He wanted to love me, and I was done hiding that I truly wanted to be with him. I stepped into his house, and the memories from the last time I was at his house flashed back. He held my hand against the table and lifted me onto the bed. We shared many kisses and sparks on the couch as he held me close during an awkward new scary part of lovemaking. I walked toward his room, and his shower was running like normal. He was taking a shower after working out. I walked into the room, and then I saw it, and my heart dropped. What I saw changed my feelings for him in a split second. It was a license plate, but it was a specific one, Kyle's. I remembered. Kyle seemed like Lee, and Lee acted just like Kyle, and I never put the pieces together. I felt so stupid inside because I let him hurt me not once but twice, and he faked his death because he could be with me. He must have known this would come out sooner or later. Just then, my phone rang. I turned toward his window and answered it.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Hi." He replied.

"Is this Kylie Smith?" He asked.

"Yes, this is!" I said while I was on the edge waiting for him to say the next words.

"This is the sheriff's deputy on your boyfriend's case." I was shaking at that moment; I was reminded of Kyle again.

"Okay, what's up?" I anxiously questioned.

"You said his name was Kyle?" The police officer interrogated

"Yes," I responded bluntly.

"I have no databases for Kyle Kernon. Unless you have the wrong name?" the police officer questioned

"No, deputy, I don't think that is the wrong name...." I had to think for a moment; Kyle is dead isn't he? Or was this a nightmare and I needed to pinch myself?

"Well, there is nobody local with that name." The officer confessed

I didn't know what to say. I stuttered and was blank-minded about what I could say. I hung up the phone and turned around, I leaned on the wall, and slowly my body gave out to the point where I slid to the floor.

I turned around, and I saw a license plate. I couldn't remember how this license plate was familiar, but it was. I closed my eyes and pictured Kyle, and that's when I visualized it.

Then Lee came into the room, and I blew up at him. His mouth widened as he saw me sitting on the floor next to the license plate.

"I don't care who you are or who you think you are. I never want to talk to you again. Get out of my life, and don't come back whoever you are." I said in a solemn tone. I saw red, and this was something that had to be reported.

He was angered beyond anything I had ever seen before. He said,

"You are getting it wrong!" "LET ME EXPLAIN" Every word he said seemed to bring more lightning strikes outside. "IT WAS NOT MY FAULT!" "I CAN'T TELL YOU EITHER! I REALLY WISH I COULD, BUT DANGER WILL COME IF I DO!" I looked at his beautiful blue eyes, it was almost as if his eyes were flashing with every lightning bolt. When I looked, I swear that I could see the ocean. I was petrified because each lightning bolt was growing stronger and more powerful.

I couldn't believe the betrayal. I never did anything to him, so why would he lie to me? And then kill Kyle just so he could try to befriend me again later. I wasn't supposed to find this out. I walked toward the door and looked at Lee one last time before I stepped outside. I could not love this man anymore. I felt impending doom in our relationship. I wanted to vomit. I felt the world spinning in my head. How could I not know how he truly was inside? He was a horrible, hateful, vengeful man. How could my first love be such a bad person? I couldn't believe I was such a bad judge of a person. Immediately, I saw my mother running toward me, racing through the thunder and lightning. All I saw were the clouds gathering and going from a light blue sky to a navy blue color in only a couple of seconds.

The wind started to pick up, and it swirled. It picked up sand and grass and whatever was easy to move. It picked up faster, and I swore that I heard it howl my name. "KYLIE!" It growled and echoed.

The thunder gathered all the sounds from my area and let out a furious roar. The area where Lee and I were arguing seemed to be the hotspot for the noise. I thought about this as I stood on the doorstep of Lee's house and had two decisions. I could go back inside, where I am safe but maybe trapped with a man who tore my heart into pieces or step into the rain and die.