Chapter 13 (fully edited) 1707

Mystery Man's words always threw me for a loop. Sometimes he would say the most awkward things at the most inappropriate moments. However, I knew I could be around him without fake being popular. I was okay, and I was accepted. The mystery man was so similar to Lee. Yet so different. I didn't feel I needed to be accepted to be with him. Like he had to change himself to be with me. He was just himself.

"I will reveal myself tonight. We will go on a date! I will be a wolf, and u will be a zombie princess." He said. What a weird combination; who thought of that?

"But that's completely random! I don't have a zombie princess costume" I replied as I pictured the image in my head. I couldn't imagine a zombie princess. A princess was supposed to be beautiful. A zombie wasn't beautiful. Maybe that was the point, to show that a zombie could be pretty. He really liked to show things in a different way than I had understood.

"Then be whatever u want to be! Why not go on a date?" he questioned, trying to con me into some alone time with him. Was he asking me out? Or was I overthinking this? What did he want me to be? I decided that I would be myself. It wasn't a costume but it was time that I stopped hiding.

"I don't know if I feel safe unless I can bring my friend." I sat there looking as dumbfounded as I felt. I didn't even question it; this guy was probably crazy. At least I would bring a friend; it would be safer. I also informed my mother about the blind date. It would be a lot safer than my last date for sure.

"Bring them with you; pick you up at 7 pm" he stated, waiting for me to respond, but I couldn't as I was drawn to my window. I was staring out the window at Lee's house reminiscing about the memories of us by the basketball hoop.

I looked outside to see if Lee was home because my mind was still on him. I was head-over-heels, and I needed to find an escape. I thought Lee was my escape, but he was the prison that I had been trapped in.

I was still suspicious, and it was 5 o'clock. I still had to get ready. I told my mom I was going on a date with this other guy. I told her I was taking Marissa because I had never met this guy. She didn't like it, but she applauded me for taking Marissa with me for backup.

"Hey, Marissa" I texted quickly, hoping she didn't make any plans. I doubted she did. Her life revolved around me, even though sometimes I wish it didn't.

"Hey" she responded promptly. I was sure she wasn't busy otherwise she would have taken much longer.

"Are you at all able to go out tonight? I have a date with this guy, and I don't know this guy, and I don't want another situation like that with Troy." I remembered how horrible that went as I was asking her. Flashbacks popped into my head and took me down to bad thoughts.

"Sure, I guess" I'm sure she thought I was whoring around, but I wasn't going to let this one get too far this time. This is a basic date, with no sex and no emotion. I needed to get out of the mindset that I needed Lee. "Lee was toxic for me wasn't he," I thought.

I peeked out the window to see what Lee was doing. I was curious. I texted Aaron because he gave me his number, but I never used it. I was still caught up on Lee. I was reminiscing about all the memories of when we played basketball. I remembered when we watched a movie and were so happy. That was when everything was less complicated.

"Hey, Aaron. Is Lee with you?" I said cautiously over the phone. I was nosy and wanted to ensure he wasn't having too much fun without me. I wasn't just nosy but jealous because I wanted to be happy before he was. I will admit I wasn't. I just longed to be with Lee and the dopey grin he gave me.

"Yea, he went out to the pool." Aaron gave me the scoop. He told me that Lee has been around water a lot lately and was obsessed with it. I thought I knew why, but Aaron didn't know the truth. It was because the water made him feel close to me. He thought of me anytime he was by water, so he felt close to me.

"As far as I remember, Lee does not have a pool!" I recalled as I tried to think who had a pool. I was still curious and insecure about my body and looks and worried about the people who could steal him from me.

"I meant to say we are at a party right now, and he went back to the pool!" Aaron had yelled over the phone, just barely loud enough so I could hear him. Then, I heard loud music louder than his voice.

I heard a loud noise and a girl yelling, "Give me the phone!" After that, I heard another loud noise, soon after. "Hey, Fraidy, get lost like the loser you are, don't call my boyfriend" She sounded drunk, then I heard a beep as she hung up Aaron's phone. I never realized how lucky I was to remain enemies with those girls. They would probably grow up to be wonderful prizes for their husbands. No thought process and just nothing to society from being so selfish.

I couldn't be focused on Lee; he was my first love, but I will get over him, Eventually. I couldn't imagine Lee with another girl. Although we weren't together, I still couldn't seem to let him go. I know that I had to, though. It sure was hard.

Marissa ran up the stairs, "Kylie, I am ready to go; I'm just wearing something a little mysterious. I'm going to be the evil stepmother, haha." she said in a witch voice. I couldn't see her face, but I could tell she was playing the secret part really well.

"I don't know what to do, I love Lee still, and is it really right for me to move on even though I am still in love with him? And... I have absolutely nothing to wear!!!" I started saying as I was crying and plopped myself on my bed.

"Aw, sweetie. I'm not going to lie to you; getting over your first love isn't easy; I still haven't done it. I love him, but like he is not for me anymore, you know? Maybe God pointed you in a stranger's direction because you are meant to be. You never know what God has in store for you." Marissa said. It was like her to have that thought process, almost like a gypsy ball that could see into the future.

"Plus you don't know if this new guy is the one? Let's have some fun and enjoy the night out. We both need it!" I knew we needed it, but I needed to be with somebody. I relied on my significant other for my own happiness. I knew it wasn't healthy, but it was the only thing I could do. It became a pattern for me.

Marissa curled my hair, and it took a really long time. The whole time she was curling my hair, I was thinking. All the circumstances in my life and what it would be like if I didn't have all these limitations.

I thought all this time, "I'd been running after a guy who never wanted me but wanted to use me. He did not care about me and only cared about what I could do for him. Did he lie to me about everything? How could everything be a lie" He was probably telling everybody about me and making me look bad. That doesn't matter because he only made himself look like a loser. If he said terrible things about me, he said bad things about the next girl. Maybe Marissa was right though? Perhaps fate or God pointed me in this mystery man's direction for a reason. Did God himself want me to forget Lee, or did he want to teach me a lesson?

I wore a dress, wore some fancy shoes, and waited by my window for this mystery man to arrive. I would glance at my phone as I intentionally awaited his text. I am talking about the boy who broke my heart, not Mystery Man. It was awful, he made me dependent on him, and if I was finally happy he would take it away, I never knew how true that was either.

I saw some lights flash and I knew it was him. My heart pounded again. Was I excited? Maybe. Perhaps it was a sign that this man would one day be vital to me. Was I scared? Definitely, it was that feeling in the pit of my stomach that something terrible was about to happen, or it was the feeling of those butterflies you get when you finally meet the one. I thought I had already met the one. Maybe my path wasn't that way? Perhaps it was this way. Things can change in a heartbeat. Or even in a moment.

Marissa put on her makeup ever so delicately. She was very careful about mixing the colors. She had separated the purples from the pinks that framed her face. I knew that I liked this man, but Marissa and I often ended up crushing on the same dude. Maybe she liked this man; she would try to steal him from me. Or maybe she just wanted to look presentable for my sake. One thing was for sure. I was falling for him just watching him pull up, get out of the vehicle, and smile at me. He was a blonde man, and I couldn't see the color eyes he had because he was wearing a face cover mask. But I felt a drop in my stomach. Good or bad here we go. It's showtime!