Chapter 43

A/N: a little flashback where Ein lets go of Katelyn ^^

When he ensured that Katelyn was completely gone, he wandered off to find her. Ein took one of the guards' guns, a pocket knife, and their IDs.

Walking down the hallway, he realized there were no windows. Typical of this place. Finally, Ein found the security office, where two other guards were in charge.

"Why are there so few guards here?" he wondered silently. He sneaked into the office and swiftly killed the other two guards while one struggled to free himself from Ein's chokehold. Ein plunged the knife deep into the guard's chest.

His eyes widened in shock. "Why is their blood green? What the hell are they?" he questioned aloud. Ein retrieved the knife and approached the desk, noticing the presence of security cameras. He attempted to locate Michael on the monitor.

Fortunately, he found a map that displayed the entire building, making it easy to locate the ventilation system. Ein let out a sigh, taking a deep breath to steady himself. He took the printed map and left the office.

Continuing his exploration, Ein found no other rooms except for some filled with containers and various experiments. He looked at them with confusion. "What are they planning this time?"

He quickly retraced his steps to reach his intended destination, climbing up to the vent. He was relieved to find the vents spacious enough to crawl through.

After encountering a few dead ends, Ein finally discovered an empty room stocked with supplies he desperately needed. With a kick, he broke through the door and jumped down.

Inside, he surveyed the area and spotted Zack tending to other weapons. "Wait," Zack said while Ein was pointing the gun at him. "Let me talk," he growled, maintaining his aggressive stance.

"Ein! Please... I-I could help you," Zack pleaded. Ein raised an eyebrow, though his glare persisted. "I... I can assist you in destroying him. Just give me a chance to speak," Zack reasoned.

Ein let out a sigh and lowered the gun. "Thank you," he replied cautiously. "I can sabotage his plans... I can make it happen, but I'll need your help," Zack continued.

Ein's ears flicked curiously as he listened. "I'll need to bring you with me. I just need to sabotage the weapon's coding," Zack explained. "Once I'm done, I can help you escape. I just want to make up for the things I've done," he added, his expression filled with remorse.

Ein frowned, still looking down at Zack. He considered the plan. Whatever weapon Michael intended to use, it would likely involve 'magical involvement with spells' rather than computer coding. "He found an ultima... They kept him alive, but he was killed yesterday to transfer their blood to the projector," Ein revealed.

"By infusing an ultima's blood into a potion or an experimental liquid test, the resulting object or potion becomes more powerful and useful than intended," Ein explained further. "Mixing both substances would be a risky test, but they've managed to make it work after conducting further experiments on the kidnapped individuals. It has provided me with more clues and information to end his plans quickly," he concluded.

Ein's glare deepened as he locked eyes with Zack. "I admit to that. But if this plan fails, it's on you," he warned sternly.

Zack visibly relaxed his shoulders. "Thank you for giving me a chance... uhm... Ein," he said, stumbling over his words. Ein shot him an annoyed glare. "Don't even dare say my name," he replied sharply.

With that, they both left the room, effortlessly navigating through the facility with Zack's assistance, granting them access to various rooms.

It took them some time to locate the room where Michael kept the machine. After a few close calls and careful navigation, they finally found it. Zack ensured Michael was nowhere in sight, and Ein locked the door behind them.