Chapter 28

Once again, I do not own Percy Jackson, any other characters or the settings found in the works of Rick Riordan. I am simply expanding my skills, and having fun while doing so.

I think this chapter has long been in the wait for some of you. A few answers are given, Marcol telling them and Zale listening, plus a deeper look into the two of them. This chapter is just less than 12000 words long, and I hope you enjoy it.

Previously on, The Universal Legend:

I begin to step into the part of my room curtained off from the rest. This is to only pause, as a recurring thought comes to me again. I turn back to face him, seeing he is again examining the walls. I watch for a moment, as many thoughts run through my mind, before assembling it into a better order.

When I speak, I immediately gain his attention, and make sure he is listening.

Now:

Chapter 28

"Hey, Marcol, I've been curious about something, and for a while now."

I pause and he glances back towards me, as he had gone back to examining the walls. My pause is very brief, and only goes for a couple of seconds.

"Why were you chosen by the Primordials to guard me? Because literally anyone in the army could have been sent in your place, it didn't need to be you. It's been puzzling me since we first met, especially when you are the overall leader of Sector 9. One of the main leaders for the army, and that means, clearly, you already have a lot of responsibility and pressure on you. So, why were you sent?"

He's startled by the question. It takes him a few moments to decide on an answer, and it is said carefully when he does reply.

"There were quite a few differing reasons that made it so I was the one sent instead of another." I simply look at him expectantly, and lean against the wall at his non-answer. He almost sags, almost, upon realising I will not take that single sentence as his reply. With it, he seems unsure of where to begin, and I notice him hesitating over anything he may say.

I say something to help him along, though I take care my tone stays low, so as to not be overheard.

"If it will help, I can put anything said under confidentiality,which is something I can do as a member of the Erudition Guild. Only those who already know these topics would hear anything said, and it would not be shared, in any way, to those who are unaware."

I can tell that Marcol is incredulous, knowing how far any member of the Guild takes anything said under confidentiality. He studies me before slowly asking a question, but there is nothing to give away if he will accept my proposition or not.

"Would another from the Erudition Guild be able to gather any information about what we will be discussing?"

"In ordinary circumstances, the five Guild Leaders would be notified. Due to my unique position, which you are already aware of, I can keep even this information from them."

He seems momentarily speechless, seeming to have thought that I might need to tell them a basic overview about anything confidential. Slowly, he nods while thinking about it.

I don't tell him that the five leaders can still view it, if they all come to the understanding that it will be beneficial to know, or that if they approach me about something discussed, I can share some knowledge about what they are after, even if my answers would be very vague in that instance.

"I will explain some things with confidentiality, but not all." I simply nod to him, already having guessed that.

I already know it is more than this that has made him agree – I know that higher ranking members of the Army of the Primordials have been trying to figure out how all members of the Erudition Guild keep confidentiality for several millennia. It is not something we discuss, and is a secret. So, they take every possible instance to try to gather the information.