Chapter 1

I do not own Percy Jackson, the Heroes of Olympus or any characters associated with the works of Rick Riordan. I am merely expanding my writing skills with fanfiction, and in the process, am creating my own characters and ideas.

For the convenience of this story, only the events from PJO and HoO have come to pass. Events from the Kane Chronicles, Magnus Chase and the Trials of Apollo have not happened.

Chapter 1

Percy's POV

It has been eight months since the Giant War. The trying time we demigods were up against countless monsters and, even worse, Giants. That terrifying moment when we faced Gaia - one of the oldest immortals. A Primordial whose domain is the very earth we live on, which would have paved the way to terrible consequences if she had won the war.

My name is Percy Jackson - but that should be obvious. It is who I have been my entire life. For the past eighteen years, if I am to be more precise. Well, technically, it is Perseus. Perseus Jackson - but I don't like being called that. I much prefer being called Percy.

It is simpler, easier.

Since the war, we have gotten on with life. It has been hard, there is no denying that. Not after all the lives we lost, all the destruction that went on. Not after both camps - Camp Half-Blood and Camp Jupiter - kind of hated the other for thousands of years. That caused quite a few messes, trying to get over the past, and to at least be civil, to be in a type of alliance - if not friendship.

Only sparingly do fights break out now. After everyone has become used to the idea of a second camp, even if it is a different pantheon, yet the same too. One is Greek, the other Roman. And after most of the hostilities disappeared, the Gods were convinced that it was safe enough to link a gateway between the two camps.

This has been great and trying, depending on who decides to visit the other camp.

Other good news is two of the Gods were given thrones on the Olympian Council. They should have always been there, of course, but were long denied - in Hades case - or had decided to step down so conflict wouldn't arise - which is what Hestia did long ago. The two of them are now on the Council, and since they were added, the meetings have gone further than previous ones, and more gets done in the time they meet.

Right now, I am on border duty.

I am on the lookout for any enemies, but nothing has yet to happen. I've been here for the past few hours, and someone will soon be coming here to take over my shift. It will probably be in about ten minutes, which is when I hear the scream.

My head snaps to the direction it came from. I look past the trees and greenery of the forest, searching, listening. I hear a type of growling snort; and I know I have heard it before.

I see the thing making the noise. A monster I have defeated before. The Minotaur.

How many times have I defeated him, anyway?

There was that time when I was twelve, then that time in the Battle of Manhattan. So, at least twice. I'm quite sure there is one more time, but I decide to put these thoughts out of mind, to focus on the task at hand.

The Minotaur can be dangerous.

The thing I next notice is the still-screaming kid running away from the snorting Minotaur. It immediately springs me into action, though I have already began to move forwards. I have Riptide, Anaklusmos, out in sword form. It would be useless if it was still in the form of a pen.

His hair - the kid's, who is a few years younger than me - is a deep, dark brown. In different lighting, it could easily be mistaken for a shade of black. It is quite short, and curls around his ears. His eyes are a startling shade of blue, a shinning sea blue. He is running around, zig-zagging between trees, near stumbling in his haste to get away from the Minotaur.