Chapter Nineteen

Damien

Mila was never late with my coffee. For the past five years, she's worked here; she was at my door knocking and walking in with a cup of coffee and a piece of chocolate by ten-thirty.

It was now eleven-thirty, and Mila still hadn't knocked on my door. I buzzed her work phone twice and didn't get a response. It was weird. She was here because I saw her this morning.

She smiled, said good morning, and told me my work schedule before I stepped into my office. I had a work call that I finished up half an hour ago, yet I was still waiting.

Feeling anxious, I stepped outside and saw that her desk was empty, and my anxiety peaked higher. I went back in and grabbed my phone. I rang her phone instead of texting her, and it took her a while to pick up.

"Yes." She sniffled.

I stiffened at the cracky sound of her voice. "Who made you cry? Where are you?"

"No one made me cry. I'm in the bathroom."

"Are you okay? Do you feel sick or something?"

"I.... I just got my period and didn't bring any...pads or tampons with me. My underwear is ruined, and so are my pants."

As clueless as I was about this type of stuff, I had to say something to let her know that I would take care of it for her.

"Give me half an hour."

"I'm sorry."

"Never apologize for this. It's okay, baby girl. It happens."

I hung up and tried to figure out how the hell I was supposed to go out to buy her pads, tampons, underwear, and a new pair of pants without the entire world figuring out that we were together.

It's not like I was ashamed, but Mila didn't want anyone to know, and I respected her reasoning. The only rational reason that came to mind was to empty the building, send everyone home early, and tend to her, so I did that.

I didn't know what brand she used, and I didn't want her to feel embarrassed that I was asking her.

So I bought every box on the shelf, along with some menstruation pain relief medicine, a heating blanket, and whatever else seemed like would make sense: chocolates, ice creams, chips, her favorite snacks, and some of her favorite drinks.

I wasn't entirely clueless; I knew women got their period monthly and that some go through hell with it while others barely feel it. I had to make do with the information I had.

I bought her some cotton pajamas and a packet of underwear and returned to the building where she was waiting.

Since no one else was in the building, I walked into the women's bathroom and knocked once I stepped in.

"Mila."

"In the third stall." She called out.

I went over and handed her the bag containing the pads, tampons, pajamas, and new underwear. It was a giant bag because I didn't know what size or kind she liked.

"Jesus." I heard her mutter under her breath.

I rubbed the back of my head nervously. "I bought one of each. Just do your thing, change, and when you're done, I'll be outside. Don't worry; there's no one else in the building. I sent them all home."

"Are you serious?"

"Yes, I'll be outside when you're done," I repeated, then stepped out.

I pulled out my phone and quickly clicked on the safari app. I googled, 'what to do when your girlfriend is on her period?' and began rapidly clicking on every link and scanning the information they offered.