Chapter Twenty-Six

Damien

These past few weeks with Mila have been like Heaven. Being with her felt like everything right and perfect was falling into place.

Nothing could put a wedge between us or even try to convince us that we didn't belong together. We flew to visit my mother and sister last week and stayed in Syracruse for three nights.

My mother loved and adored her from the very first moment she met Mila, and since Savannah and Mila were closer in age, they bonded like crazy. they spent most of the time, shopping, gossiping, and drinking white wine.

My mother even joined in and tried her hardest to make Mila feel comfortable. It was moments like this with friends and family, that made us feel like our age gap was nothing.

That we were just two people who met and fell in love. Because that's what it was.

Mila and I were close, always working, and the attraction was always there, but none of us ever acted on it in fear of losing each other.

It was what made us love and care for each other more because every moment and second, we spent together was special. Mila stopped working for me and went back to college full time like she's always wanted to do and was studying to be a pre-school teacher.

I was proud of her for going back and making her dream a reality. I'd support Mila through everything. Whether it was this or anything else, I'd always have her back.

That's why when she woke up this morning and told me she wanted to visit her mother, I told her I'd take her. So, here we were, in the interrogation room waiting for Hansel to bring her.

She was sitting on the chair with me behind her and the amount of confidence she was exerting made me even more proud of my woman.

The door swung open, and Mila froze for a brief second when her mother walked in cuffs. She regained composure and I placed my hands on her shoulder in silent support.

Hansel sat her down across from Mila and her mother looked uninterested in the whole set-up.

"Let me guess." Her mother started. "You want to know why I did it?"

"No, not really. I don't care. I mean besides the fact that you're crazily obsessed with me." She scoffed, leaning back. "I'm here because I want to know who my dad is."

Her mother's face turned rock hard, and I saw her body stiffen up. "Your father fucking left us."

"Did he? Or did he leave you?" Mila speculated. "He probably doesn't even know about me."

"You fucking bitch."

"You watch your fucking mouth." I spat, glaring at her.

"What's his name?" Mila asked. "Just give me his name."

"Yeah, and what do I get out of it?"

"Nothing. You don't get anything."

She scratched her chin. "That doesn't seem like a fair trade, now does it, honey?"

"Do you want to die in your jail cell?" I asked threateningly. "Cause that can be arranged."

"You're bluffing." She stammered.

"Try me," I warned.

"His name's Isaac Winston."

Mila stood up, clutched her tiny little purse in her hand, and reached for my hand. I took it and without another word, we stepped out of the room.

Mila didn't speak the entire ride home. She kept to herself the whole time, and even though I felt her pushing away and distancing herself, our hands were still joined and in her lap.