Chapter Twenty-Seven

Mila

I was glad Damien was in my life. He made the pain and heartache I've felt over my years lessen and feel almost nonexistent. He kept me close, always hugging, touching, and reassuring me.

It was nice having someone in my back, and knowing whatever I wanted to do to move forward with my life, Damien would support me a hundred percent. He was the only man I've ever trusted and loved and cared for this much in my entire life.

It made Jason and I's few-month relationship seem pathetic and fictional. I didn't know what I wanted to do with the information I had about my father.

I was anxious, scared, and nervous about deciding on finding and meeting him, and it all blows up in my face.

I'd be a liar if I said I didn't want that picture-perfect family, but I'd also be stupid if I said high hopes and expectations.

Damien was able to find my father in less than a week. I don't know how, but I knew Damien was powerful and had connections all over New Jersey.

He lived a few hours away but was still living in New Jersey. It felt weird and a little crazy knowing how close yet how far he actually was from me.

He was married and had two sons a few years younger than me. Isaac Winston was a high-school teacher who taught English and Science.

His wife, Mary Winston worked at a restaurant as one of their pastry chefs. Their sons, Levi and Emmet were in college studying to be lawyers. He had a whole other life and family.

According to the guy who got Damien the file, he was happily married, and they were doing really well in their life. It made me not want to reach out to him. I didn't want to disrupt their peace or life by just randomly dropping in.

Damien encouraged me and held my hand through it all until I finally agreed to meet him. Damien was driving us there and since I didn't speak to my father beforehand, we were ambushing him after school.

So that's where we were now. In the parking lot, waiting for him to step outside so that I can talk to him.

I was jittery, my hands were shaking and sweating, but Damien didn't let go not caring how gross and clammy my hands were. The picture of my father in my hand made me realize we had a few similarities.

The thick brows, the rounded nose, and even the defined cupid's bow. Yes, I had my mom's hair and eyes, but looking at the photo in my hand, I felt a strange connection to the man I'd never met.

"Remember that movie I told you to watch? Did you end up watching it?" Damien asked, bringing me back to reality. I turned to face him.

I nodded my head, remembering the porno movie he recommended. I grimaced once the first sex scene popped up in my head.

"Yeah, I did. It was a porno."

"You're kidding." He gaped up at me.

"Nope." I popped the p. "It was straight-up porn. Five women with huge racks and one pirate guy."

He nervously rubbed the back of his head and gave me a sheepish grin. "Shit. I didn't know. Did you think I told you to watch it on purpose?"

"No, Damien, of course not. I knew you couldn't remember the plot and I was eager to watch it because you recommended it."

"Was it good porn or cheap porn?" He asked, curiously.

"Cheap porn."

"Ah, you like the HD stuff huh?" He teased, and I rolled my eyes.