Chapter 4 - Forgiveness

Kokichi was absent. Himiko overheard that apparently Maki encountered him earlier, but that he was acting strangely. Miu added that he had not visited her and, even if he did, she wouldn't help him. 

''He's probably ashamed of what he did to Himiko,'' Peko suggested. 

''Kokichi ashamed? You guys are funny!'' Hiyoko said and laughed manically.

''For what purpose are you preoccupying yourselves with such a trifle? His absence is not unusual and, certainly, everyone would rather prefer him not to be here,'' Byakuya scoffed.

''Aw, you're so harsh, Mr. Poker Face,'' Angie said. 

''And the classroom would be blissful if you were absent as well.''

''Everything is full of bliss already! Atua is here with me, after all...'' Angie directed an ominous smile at him. 

Himiko watched everything go on in silence. She had her doubts about Kokichi's shame, but it was difficult to say anything about that boy with certainty. His behaviour seemed more unusual after he performed his prank on Himiko. While Himiko was lost in thought, he came into the classroom, a short silence followed that was immediately interrupted by the bell. The teacher rebuked Kokichi and instructed him to complete some overdue work. 

Himiko threw herself into the throng of students leaving the classroom to prevent being stopped by him, however, she still sensed his mischievous gaze so, not much unlike a person stranded in a forest who knows that a predator is near, she turned around hoping to be incorrect or, if not, to have the chance to escape. Kokichi was looking at her with a serious expression that she never witnessed before. He then stood up and approached her, clearly wanting to say something, yet this time it was she who left the room without a word. 

*

''Himiko!" Kokichi shouted to no avail. He was frustrated and conflicted about approaching her. Worst of all, he only had his judgement to work with since talking about this with anyone else would, he felt, humiliate him. 

That can be dealt with later, now there's something else, he thought and left the class. He assumed that once the first started the fire alarm would turn on, all the students evacuate, and further lessons postponed for, perhaps, several days. No one, besides nerds like K1-B0, would mind having a longer weekend. Any possible investigations would struggle to find the culprit because all the strands were not visible to the cameras on the ground floor. It was a wonderful plan and Kokichi expected everything to look cool and hellish once complete. 

Break time was almost over, so he decided to start. 

*

''Ouch! Maki Roll, what's up with you?''

''You were too close.''