Chapter 20 - Cold and Confused

''The cold. . . How irritating. . . Why don't you make a makeshift portable radiator out of a fireball, Mrs. Witch?'' Kokichi muttered sardonically, giving himself over to laughter before sneezing; much louder than his last sneezes, and so Himiko halted at once out of fear and frustration. 

''If you don't stop. . . then I will turn you into a party horn.'' She eyed him, though her intended menacing effect quickly melted into pity upon seeing his drenched self. 

''Seeing me in this state, I expected you to say 'trumpet', but you surprise me yet again!'' 

''When was the first time that I surprised you?'' Himiko had to know, while already experiencing the bitterness she would feel if it was his another lie. 

''Just now; I expected a great mage such as yourself to scoop us a fine fireball out of thin air. . . but you didn't do that,'' here Kokichi sulked and frowned deeply, ''but I guess that's more of a disappointment, isn't it?'' 

''Why you-'' Himiko stepped forward to smack him with her hat, but Kokichi lounged forward and embraced her. ''W-What a-are you-?!'' 

''Well, that was easy,'' he moved away, somewhat unamused and bored in manner; his eyes betraying a strange satisfaction and even excitement. ''Now we're both wet, so it'll be best for everyone if you use some spell now.''

Himiko stood fixed in place, feeling much warmer than before from the inward heat that had burst within her when Kokichi embraced her. 

''Stop distracting me,'' she said, flustered, and continued walking towards the school. 

''Huh? You have a plan, then, yes?'' Kokichi asked, stopping after following her briefly. ''I hope you're not planning to tell everyone that I'm here in the middle of the night.'' 

''No, I'm not. But why wouldn't you like that?'' Himiko had no doubt that everyone preferred to know that he was alive, so to suspect anything contrary seemed strange. 

''It might be too shocking; to think that I'm dead, and then for me to reappear out of nowhere. Jeez, Himiko, that could give Hifumi a heart attack if we aren't careful enough. For a girl, you really lack tact.'' Kokichi explained in a stern tone, emphasising each word like an impatient teacher, but that only worsened Himiko's quiet giggling. ''What is it, now? Can't you see that this is a very serious possibility that we should take under consideration?'' 

''No,'' Himiko mumbled, containing her giggles. ''You're just being. . . silly.'' 

''Be careful: I can see that you're blushing.'' 

''W-What – C-Can you?!'' She palmed her burning cheeks with embarrassment, hastening her pace. 

''Actually, no; I can barely see your face in this darkness, but now I wonder whether I happened to be right.'' One didn't have to look at him to sense and imagine the sly grin and scheming gaze marking his face at that moment, certainly not Himiko who felt greater embarrassment over being tricked so easily. However, the banter she shared with Kokichi felt refreshing, and his presence was slowly dragging her away from the gloominess she lived under during his absence.