Chapter 17 - Love's Release

''Where were you?''

''Ow, questions already? You've chased me all this way to only ask questions?'' 

''I thought that when I left you-''

''That was nothing. I wouldn't worry about it too much!''

Himiko sighed, looking at the pieces of the nightly sky peeking out from between the foliage above her. She felt immediate relief when she saw Kokichi's face; the anxiety and disbelief she faced, which became an increasing burden since his disappearance, were no more. But her satisfaction was not relieved from worry. Kokichi's reappearance was too shocking. She looked at him over and over again, each time inspecting the places where he was cut or burned before, and she found no discrepancy; the, now healing, wounds were there: it must've been him. 

''Why are you so quiet?'' He asked her, lowering himself until their noses almost met. ''Or are you just completely frazzled after our nightly jog?'' 

''I was so worried...everything was so dark...'' Himiko said, tears softly streaming down her face. 

Kokichi tensed up and looked at her with wonder. 

''Then maybe my love for you will brighten things up,'' he whispered and kissed her. 

Himiko reddened as their lips and bodies pressed together. She felt Kokichi's hand caress her face, the other wandering around her side – slipping beneath her blazer. His lips did not lose the gentleness that they carried when they kissed for the first time. She found herself gasping for air whenever the kiss became too intimate or the warmth and passion coming from him too great to bear; the bitter, cold air felt refreshing at these moments. 

Although she desired to express her love for him as much as he did, she often awaited his next move, thinking that her inexperience would break this wonderful moment. Then, after strength began to leave both of them, Kokichi jumped back on his feet and held out his hand towards the mage. 

''We got a little carried away, haven't we?'' He said with a wide smile. 

Himiko took his hand, standing up while covering her still red face with the brim of her hat. All the kissing left her abashed and unable to respond, but she kept on holding Kokichi's hand to not make him doubt her love for him. 

''Was it this way? I can't remember.'' 

They started to walk back towards the school. Some owl hooted in the distance, while much further, something scurried in the bushes. Himiko's former obliviousness to her surroundings was being troubled by a creeping fear. The fact that she and Kokichi shared such an intimate moment in the middle of a forest disturbed her. 

A hazy, yellow tincture spotted, and then brightened, more and more leaves and branches as they approached the school. The atmosphere and the area remained unchanged. No one patrolled the area, nor were there many cameras for them to particularly worry about. 

''Maybe we should enter from the back,'' Himiko whispered and led Kokichi to the emergency exist that she used to leave the dorms. It was not possible for her to open the door from the outside, but Kokichi followed through with opening it very easily. Having made several steps inside, she felt Kokichi's grip leave hers. 

''I don't think I should, Himiko,'' he said, his eyes sullen. 

''I'll hide you in my dorm, I-'' Himiko bit her tongue. Tenko was sharing a room with her, so chaos was bound to ensue if she saw Kokichi in their dorm; someone else would've let it pass, but no such thing could ever be guaranteed from her. Himiko felt depressed again, as things seemed to have started crumbling again. 

''Where will you sleep then?'' She asked, unable to come up with anything else to help Kokichi. 

''Where do you think I've lived all this time? I have my ways.'' He said, staring at her with a mysterious smile. 

''Will you come tomorrow?'' 

''I will – and I will be the one to wake you up.'' 

His response delighted her, but the thought of Tenko seeing him if he did so forced her to stop herself from celebrating a hasty victory. She then walked up to Kokichi and hugged him. 

''Sleep well,'' he whispered, smooching her forehead. 

''I will,'' she replied with a radiant smile, kissed him on the cheek and made her way to the dorms.