[AU] Christmas Part 1

Christmas arrived all too soon; many students failed to meet their deadlines; the weather wasn't ready yet, coughing up pirouetting smatterings of snow, but nothing substantial: nothing to build a most meagre snowman with. 

Nevertheless, the customary preparations, including the gingerbread-bauble administration and carol-chanting supervision, had to be carried through with more haste than usual. The nearest town was half an hour couch ride away, and shopping couldn't be done anywhere else, and so things followed with utmost haste. 

 Kaede and Sayaka were a part of the team responsible for picking up Christmas trees; two, or potentially three, had to be chosen: one to be placed before the school, the other in the lobby, and, if the third one found its way, then it'd be placed in the dorms. 

''This one?'' Kaede asked after Sayaka pointed to her one of the trees. ''I agree that it's very lush and green, but it seems a bit too short, don't you think? It'll look small in the lobby.'' 

''Well, there are apparently larger ones at the back, though I'm not sure if a bigger one won't pose a problem for us,'' Sayaka said, looking towards the shop's backdoor sceptically. ''I don't know, Kaede. I think it's better for you to make the choice.''

''Why are you doubting yourself? C'mon, it's just a tree that we're choosing, and you really shouldn't worry about carrying it back to the coach; Mondo and Kazuichi offered their help, so it should be fine.'' 

They headed outside and examined the trees there. While they talked, another team joined them. 

''Why, hello there,'' Nagito greeted them cheerfully. 

''Ugh. . . no matter what you say, you always sound like a complete creepozoid,'' Hiyoko snapped. 

''Now, now, I'll be quiet from now on, okay?'' 

''Hmph! If you say so. . .''

''Oh, hi guys. How have you been doing?'' Kaede asked, ignoring the bickering duo and addressing Sakura and Himiko; the other two standing in a rather awkward silence. 

''We've purchased all the necessary decorations,'' Sakura said with a proud smile and lifted the dozens of rectangular shopping bags her hands were encumbered with; Himiko was also carrying a little something of her own, though with Sakura at hand, she was reluctant to strain herself too much.

''Did you guys choose the Christmas trees yet?'' Himiko asked. 

''No, not yet. We want to choose just the right one, but it's hard to pick one without it being too short or too long.'' 

''Just pick the best one, Kaede, even if you think it's too big; I'll carry it either way,'' Sakura assured her. 

''You won't have to do that, the boys already volunteered, and you shouldn't be forced to carry anything else after carrying everything for your time.'' Kaede response very much displeased Hiyoko who launched herself at her. 

''I picked up the decorations. . . ! I spent so much time. . . I. . . Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!'' The orange gremling wailed ruefully, while the shaggy hope addict consoled her. 

''I don't think that's what Kaede meant, Hiyoko; she appreciates people's input more than anybody else,'' he said, patting the gremlin. 

''I'm sorry, Hiyoko, I really am,'' Kaede apologised, pale-faced and shocked to the core. 

''She's been like this all day,'' Sakura remarked; wholly composed and untouched by the girl's outburst. ''So don't worry about it.''

''Now Sakura's being mean, too! Waaaaaaaaaaaah!''