Chapter 16 - First Night, First Trouble

The opening ceremony was to take place in the evening, so the students were permitted to roam the school grounds freely in the meantime. It was noticed by many that there were only several standard classrooms, most rooms having been remade into ultimate labs. Even though they had their own labs, Akane, Nekomaru, Ryoma, Sakura and Tenko found many essentials for their talent development in the gym, which was enormous and must've taken at least a quarter of the school's total area. 

''You guys have it good,'' Kazuichi said in awe once he saw the gym.

''Not bad at all,'' Ryoma admitted.

''I'll have all of you excel in your training in no time,'' Nekomaru said grinning. 

The dorms were similarly welcoming and even had a reception which, at the moment, was vacant. Keys for each dorm hang on the pegs right behind the reception's counter. Kaito jumped over the counter and looked through the keys, noticing that the chips attached to the keys were essentially the same, the number etched on each of them being the only difference. 

''Maybe we should wait for someone from Hope's Peak staff to assign our rooms,'' K1-B0 said, looking into the hall to check if no one else was coming. 

''It wouldn't hurt to see which room has the best view,'' Kaito said and snatched several keys at once. 

''And you think that we'll let you do that?'' Leon glared at Kaito and lunged at Kaito, but the Ultimate Astronaut evaded him and was already running towards the dorms.

''Get back here, you criminal!'' Kiyotaka shouted, following Leon in pursuit. 

''That idiot,'' Maki whispered to herself while playing with one of her twin tails. 

*

Very little was said on the opening ceremony that they didn't know already; the headmaster once again apologised for the recent events and hoped that this was to be a new start for them all. When he finished speaking, the students were directed to the canteen, where supper was being prepared. 

Himiko finished her meal quickly and went, along with Tenko, to the dorms. This time one of the staff was present, and they were given a dorm key. Kaito must've returned the keys he previously snatched, as most of them were now in place. 

''Aren't you excited, Himiko?!'' Tenko asked, smiling wildly. 

''I'm too tired after our bus journey to say for sure, Tenko.'' Himiko lied, her gaze falling to the ground in guilt. She couldn't understand how everyone were able to remain so cheerful after what had happened, no less how they seemed to have forgotten about Kokichi already. Himiko stopped this chain of thought that she knew would ultimately leave her crying and focused on the dorm that they then entered. It was slightly larger than her last one; the two beds stationed opposite of each other were identical, and the window overlooked a football pitch that was then followed by tall grasses and a forest. Overall, Himiko didn't expect an accomodation any more luxurious than what she had before, although the chandelier that hung in their room and the quality furniture decorated with various engravings of scrolls, flowers, and animals certainly gave an impression of prestige.